Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Utility bike life changing stories…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought I’d give a quick update on this thread and xtracycles. I did look at xtracycle freeradical conversion kit and at the time there was some issue with the importer and there was no UK stock. Thought I’d have another look today and it would appear that whatever the issue was it’s been sorted as Practical Cycles now have stock.

I did finish my semi-utility build a few days ago (linky). While not a full on utility bike I’m loving the utility-ness of it. For child carrying it’s the Hamax and Croozer for now, but give it a few years and this sort of conversion…

… will be very tempting 🙂 though I suspect by that age they’ll want to ride their own bikes/scooters probably!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

The benefit of being able to do progressively more things on my bike rather then my car cannot be underestimated the simple pleasure of just going to the post office. It even has me considering getting rid of the car entirely although a significant upgrade would probably be involved. 😉

Post office run by Tyred Cyclist, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is that a Minute? Looks good. A decent stand must be very handy too.

simple pleasure of just going to the post office

I know exactly what you mean, it really does make chores a pleasurable experience! I’ve done the post office parcel pick up, a supermarket run, and a few nursery and work runs so far and it’s been great.

wiggles
    Free Member

I really want a trailer/utility bike but living in a flat with no outside storage means I can’t

My two bikes, kid seat and bikes take up too much room as it is 🙁

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Indeed it is a Minute who knew such a boring bike could be so exciting lol the centre stand is good but i think im going to swap it out for a bi fold one which will get in the way less.

ianpv
    Free Member

my minute:

in action:

Does the nursery run for a 4 and 2.5 yr old, rain or shine (the kids love it), weekend picnics, family potters etc. as well as runs to shops etc. It’s absolutely great, I love it.

benp1

I bought a double trailer for the kids (1 and 2) and have been using it with my MTB to cycle with the dog round the park and for simple paths. The kids absolutely love it

It wasn’t a fancy one as I wanted to see how much use I’d actually get out of it, and how much the kids would like it, but so far its a complete winner!

Even in the cold they’re happy once I’ve put blankets etc in

I’ve been very hesitant to use it on the road or even cycle paths on the road, do you guys use them on the road?

The other problem is having to get through width restrictions/gates etc, makes life difficult

pictonroad

no pics but I love my minute, fits on a standard bike rack on my camper van so when we’re camping we can leave the van parked up and head out with the nipper on the weeride.

With the bags that came with it I can fit all the beach toys required for some serious sandcastle construction.

I can’t see me ever getting rid of it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

ianpv, love the photo! How old before you just let your boy sit on the back?

I’ve been very hesitant to use it on the road or even cycle paths on the road, do you guys use them on the road?

Don’t really like to use the roads when I’ve my boy on the hamax seat (though cars do generally seem to give you a lot more room!) I use them a bit but mostly try and link together pavement, cycle paths and towpaths.

I reckon I’d struggle a little on the nursery run with a trailer due to stupid staggered barriers on the cycle paths.

Pictonroad, what you got?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Utility bike life changing stories…’ is closed to new replies.