Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Using draggy Mud Tyres for training
  • grtdkad
    Free Member

I have had an old set of mud tyres lurking in the garage for the last few years – I absolutely hate them – they are so slow and draggy, you have to work really hard to ride through the resistance.

Anyway, as part of my Mayhem training I thought I would put them back on the bike (instead of my nobby nics) and see how I got on…more effort = better training, no?

Am I kidding myself? It is much more of an effort – but does that mean I will feel the benefit when I put my Nics back on in the Spring?

Oxboy
    Free Member

hell yeh!!!!!

Trimix
    Free Member

Fill the inner tubes with water to make the training even harder 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you’re serious about training for mayhem you should strap 20kg of weight to the bike to emulate the mud, use only one gear and kick your mech off every 5 miles. 🙂

grtdkad
    Free Member

+1 5th elephant. It’ll be my 6th mayhem so yup, well experienced with the range of mud types found at Eastnor.
    Still hate these tyres though. Takes a load of effort to keep up with the local riders…its properly messing with my head now!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Eeerr why bother with Muddy Mayhem? I get plenty of that at home.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Why not just put the same extra effort into cycling faster with your usual tyres, and train that way?

grtdkad
    Free Member

That’s my point hamish. Feel like I’m kidding myself with the mud tyres and not enjoying my rides as much so very tempted to put the Nics back on and cycle further/faster.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Riding with slow draggy tyres is just miserable. Better off enjoying your ride with good tyres, you’ll ride more.

IdleJon

5thElefant – Member
    If you’re serious about training for mayhem you should strap 20kg of weight to the bike to emulate the mud, use only one gear and kick your mech off every 5 miles.

For the authentic experience in the middle of your night ride you need to throw your bike away from you in temper, throw dummies, toys, shout that you are never going to ride in $$$$ %%%% &&&&& Eastnor again, and then go and queue outside your shower for 30 minutes getting slowly hypothermic.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Using draggy Mud Tyres for training’ is closed to new replies.