Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using 130mm hub on a 135mm aluminium frame
  • lodger

I have a wheel that’s pretty good quality and I’d like to use it on my new frame, not least cos I have a brand new free hub body for it.

Only problem is that it’s a 130mm hub and I plan to use it with a London Road frame that has 135mm dropouts.

The wheels are FSA rd-460 and the free hub is the same as the xc 300 wheel set. They are cartridge bearing, qr wheels.

Would I be able to use them with a 2mm washer either side? Are replacement axles available?

Should I just save myself the hassle and buy a new wheel?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i’m stuck with a set of these wheels as well – a quality disc wheelset but 130mm rear hub

always wonder if they will work on a ti frame such as a tripster or pickenflick

scotroutes

FWIW, my VN Amazon (Ti) has 132.5mm dropouts so it can handle either “standard” 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

Using washers on the end of the axle should work, but your cassette will be 2-3 mm towards the centerline of the bike from where it would be with a 135 mm hub. So chainline could be an issue, or it might not be a problem at all.

mickolas
    Free Member

I’d be wondering most about if the calliper can be aligned over the disc. Possibly 2mm either side is correct (I would defo check that first, then calculate any adjustments, if needed) but if you need to space assymetrically, you may need the get the wheel re-dished.

Maybe an experienced wheel builder on here can advise if a shift of a couple of mm is likely to be possible without replacing spokes for different lengths?

wwaswas

Using washers on the end of the axle should work

Are you sure – I’d be worried about the end of the axle barely being in the dropout, there’s not a huge amount of axle bearing the weight at the best of times?

eshershore
    Free Member

Been using hope pro 3 road wheels 130mm spacing on specialized sirrus hybrid 135mm spacing for last year. With shimano skewer its no problem to close the spacing gap but the indexing has never been 100% on the rear.

Have checked derailleur hanger with tool, shimano sp41 cable, 2 x 10 road transmission, suspect its thrown chain line off enough to affect the indexing but its a commute bike with mudguards so not a real problem..

ransos
    Free Member

Are you sure – I’d be worried about the end of the axle barely being in the dropout, there’s not a huge amount of axle bearing the weight at the best of times?

I fitted an axle from an XT hub into my ultegra hub, and added an extra spacer on the NDS only (so the chainline stays the same). Works a treat.

schmiken

As an experienced wheel builder 😉 I’d chuck a 1mm washer either side, plenty of frames are 132.5 and stretch to fit. Make sure you use a decent skewer (like a Shimano) and it should all be fine.
    Alternatively, you shouldn’t need to redish for 2 or 3mm, and spokes-wise you should be fine if you do, unless it was built incorrectly in the first place.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using 130mm hub on a 135mm aluminium frame’ is closed to new replies.