Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Used 2013 Whyte 146, yay or nay?
  • mudsoul
    Free Member

I currently ride a 2011 Marin Mount Vision XM8 and really like it. I’ve been offered a deal on a slightly used Whyte 146s, which has a very similar geometry, only slightly longer and slacker and I love the looks of the frame. I’ve read reports of subpar build quality with the 2012 frames (hairline cracks and wonky rear ends), and was wondering if the newer ones (with the brace in the front triangle) are any better? I am only interested in knowing what owners think of the frames as I intend to build it up with my parts anyway, so don’t care what the stock parts are like.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rorschach
    Free Member

2 words.
    No Warranty
    And for that reason…..I’m out.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Rorschach, the non transferrable warranty is risk I am willing to take. That’s an issue with most second hand bikes, is it not? The one I am looking at is a fairly good deal, so if the new frames are a significant improvement, I might take my chances.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Seen a few of these back for warranty at work. Don’t think I would buy one myself although they do ride very well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

an issue with most second hand bike

Most bikes don’t have the 146’s track record 😉 (whyte dealer ex-employee).

mudsoul
    Free Member

nodrog2, cheers for the input. Any idea if the ones you’ve seen were being warrantied due to parts issues or problems with the frames?

mudsoul
    Free Member

Most bikes don’t have the 146’s track record (whyte dealer ex-employee).

Has this been the case with the 146 since the model was released in 2011? I mean, from what I have read on here it seems like there were particularly bad production batches in 2012.

tops5
    Free Member

Mate’s carbon 120mm version has cracked – he is getting messed about by them atm

nodrog2
    Free Member

mudsoul – frame issues. Haven’t seen any 2013 models with the same issues as previous models, that is cracks around the BB or downtube. The support strut seems to have stiffened them up. Have seen current models with seatclamp area issues though. Have seen the bonding fail on the alu sleeve used in the seatclamp area. We don’t get many Carbon frames back for warranty but when we do it’s more than likely a 146.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Many thanks for the information, nodrog2.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Used 2013 Whyte 146, yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.