Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Urgent: Hiring a car/van in UK to take to alps and back?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

So my car may or may not be able to be able to drive to the alps as I had planned due to needing an emergency service.

What options do I have?

Plan is to take 3 bikes (yeti 575, lapierre spicy, marin quake), 2 people, lots of baggage – body armour/full faces, return with the third person along with the bikes and luggage. So flying isn't an option at the moment.

Going on this Saturday afternoon. Coming back week Monday (31st-9th)
    Going from Cheltenham to Bourg D'Oisans (alpe d'huez / les deux alpes)

Considering the usual rental places but they're not all that clear on pricing and availability although estates / mpv's / vans are apparently available. will try and ring places in the morning but places like easycar don't give you phone numbers!

(don't panic neil, all will work out fine. no really – I'm sure it will. maybe)

crazy-legs

We did it a few years ago with a Vauxhall Astra estate – 4 people, 4 bikes, 4 lots of camping kit! Went down to Les Gets for 10 days. It was a tight fit, in fact what with all the rushing round picking people up it was really badly packed so, while waiting for the night ferry we unloaded and re-packed the car on the dock. Got a few strange looks from customs for that one.

As to the actual hire I can't remember the cost but there were lots of conditions imposed for being abroad – drivers over 25 only, extra insurance etc. Some hire companies really aren't keen on their cars leaving the UK, we got ours from some local dealer rather than one of the big companies.

ben
    Free Member

You'll probably have more luck with a small local independent place. You may find some of the larger companies will either charge more for taking the car out of the country or not allow it at all.

peachos
    Free Member

buy a banger for the trip between you. it'll be cheaper. i reckon you'll pay at least £500 for a week…

IA

Be aware you'll need to change the ferry booking for the new vehicle, which may cost more/not be possible if you're going from a car to van say.

Also – what's wrong with your car that couldn't be fixed in time, if you were prepared to pay extra? Surely cheaper than hiring a vehicle?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

norfolk line have got details of a VW passat estate at the moment, but their prices don't change for anything under 2.4m high, 5m long so should be alright but thanks for reminding me.

good idea peachos.

local places = yellow pages I guess?

guido

PANICS

Whats happened?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

(don't panic neil, all will work out fine. no really – I'm sure it will. maybe)

Car's poorly. long story.
    Kate is oblivious and shall stay that way till we return home (if the car lives that is. If we turn up in a van I have hired and paid for, then she'll find out at the station).
    Either way its going to be fun!

midlifecrashes

Used to have an old Volvo estate. Had the turbo blow on the M1 on the way to Portsmouth heading for the Brittany ferry. No time to return home where the hire places would have been closed for the night and couldn't limp to the port. Had the AA guy take us to East Midlands airport, dumped the Volvo in long stay and hired a Mondeo for a fortnight, transferred family, luggage and the Marin and on we went. No prob switching the ferry booking, just the massive long stay bill and Hertz nearly doubling the usual tariff for taking the car out of the country.

Anyway, that got dull quick. What I'm saying is you've got until Saturday, only Wednesday now. Enterprise or banger time. Borrow a mate's second car?

konabunny
    Free Member

If you're in/near London, then call http://www.hhvanhire.co.uk in Camden (for vans, 6 seat crew cab Transits, Grand Voyager MPV) or http://www.thegaragecarrental.co.uk/ in Croydon (Mondeos, Zafiras at 230/week). You'll have to call rather than book online though and explain you want to take it abroad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Urgent: Hiring a car/van in UK to take to alps and back?’ is closed to new replies.