Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • upvc window help
  • squin
    Free Member

Hi.

Need some advice on double glazed windows.

Have a bedroom window which has two openers e.g. one half (side) of the window opens out, as does the other. Roughly 1m wide in total.

The openers have dropped and there are gaps when they’re closed.

How much would it cost to have the two openers replaced (roughly)?

Thanks.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Openers? As in the hardware, not the actual sash?

squin
    Free Member

No, the windows which open out.

chip
    Free Member

If the sash has dropped you can fix this by toe and healing the sash.
    This involves shimming between the glass unit and sash.

squin
    Free Member

Sorry, they’re not sash, just bog standard upvc hinged windows which open out

russ295
    Free Member

If it’s the PVC frame that’s dropped, get a piece of timber, open the window, stick piece of timber through the gap and “bump” it back up, do it at each side (not in the middle) or use a block of wood and a hammer.
    It’s best to do it from the outside.

leafylane
    Free Member

Reckon all you need is new hinges. Should be stock item from any local repair company or local fabricator.

squin
    Free Member

I was wondering if hinges can warp etc

therag
    Free Member

Remove beads with a hammer & chisel, lift up sash on the dropped side, fit a packer between glass & frame. Replace beads, job done.
    Highly unlikely there’s anything wrong with the hinges, it’s just dropped through normal use.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sash refers to the opening bit of the window. Doesn’t have to be an old fashioned “sash”window.
    No offence cheap windows are saddled with cheap hardware. However I’d be surprised if they’d dropped so much on the hardware to leave a gap. As above toe and heeling may help. If you replace the openers it’ll look shit as they’ll be a different colour, white just ain’t white I’m afraid.

chickenman

If they are the easy clean cantilever hinge type then they will be goosed, easy to replace though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘upvc window help’ is closed to new replies.