Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Unseasonal bike content – Just finished winter road bike restoration
  • solarider
    Free Member

Just finished rebuilding my winter bike after a respray. Good timing given the weather over the weekend.

Classic 531 Pearson. Fortunately Colourtech in Dartford still had some of the original Pearson decals so the restoration was accurate. Beautiful paintwork. Built before carbon, aheadsets and tapered headtubes were a glint in their inventor’s eye, but all the better for it!

Not light, but despite the 1 inch threaded headset and slim tubes, I had forgotten the pleasure of riding a traditional geometry, old-school road bike. Supremely comfortable.

Built it back up with Campagnolo Athena/Chorus 11 speed mix and Neutron wheels. I run Super Record on other bikes, and frankly am ashamed to say I can’t tell the difference. The Moots seatpost all adds to the comfort.

Enjoy!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I prefer ti for my winter bike.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Looks nice with the Campag stuff. Though the Moots seatpost imo looks out of place.

solarider
    Free Member

Understand about the seatpost. Tried everywhere to find something traditional looking in silver but couldn’t, so this was the closest thing. Tried black and looked wrong.

Since the Pegoretti, I have really got the taste for steel back. Still have 3 ti bikes in the collection to scratch that itch, but loving this one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am surprised you couldn’t get some NOS or other alloy silver post.

I only have the one ti bike, I like both ti and steel, I also have a nice alloy road bike.

Odd that I have no carbon bikes, I loved my 1990 Epic.

solarider
    Free Member

Snap on the 1990 Epic. In fact, literally snap. I broke 5 of them and have never been back to carbon since!

yossarian
    Free Member
    psychle
    Free Member

’tis lovely 🙂

shmoo
    Free Member

Very Nice!!

I reckon it would look even better with tyres and rims with no logos (or at least smaller logos), but that is being really picky

Enjoy

njee20
    Free Member

Snap on the 1990 Epic. In fact, literally snap. I broke 5 of them and have never been back to carbon since!

How rational!

Agree that seatpost looks wrong, even a polished Thomson would look better IMO. I’d track down a polished Campy one though to fit in better.

solarider
    Free Member

Agreed on the wheels. I have just tracked down a set of NOS silver record hubs which I will build up to replace the Neutrons. Purely about looks if I m honest because the Neutrons ride beautifully.

Njee – the Epic breakages were not the only reason for not going back to carbon. I just prefer the rideof ti and steel.

Trying to find a campy NOS seatpost is not a cheap task, and despite appearances, this was meant to be a bit of a budget winter hack. Think I messed that one up a bit!

streetdaddy
    Free Member

Hi, I have been looking for a moots seatpost for a new build i am doing. Would you be interested in selling it? Thanks!

Kevevs
    Free Member

lovely bike

rustler
    Free Member

Lovely bike, but the Ti fireplace is a bit too flash.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Missed your post solarider, were they road bikes or Stumpjumpers? Mine latter, I understand the former all broke…

m1kea
    Free Member

I may have a old Campy 27.2 kicking about in the junk hole shed. IIRC it was an ‘aero’ Chorus jobbie.

Shall have a look for you? – LMK at mikeanton @ hotmail . com

oldgit
    Free Member

You know I’ll like that. Like the white headtube. But don’t those older frames have a nice ride, not comparing them to the modern stuff, but nice in their own/different way.

I was going to suggest an old Campag Chorus aero post, try Hillary Stone.

Now because it’s so nice my nit picking is going to make sound a twunt, but the kits almost too good for that winter build look? if that makes sense.

Edit; Nah scrub that it looks great, perhaps a classic wheelset though? Campag hubs and Open Pro CDs or Ceramics for that old full grey look.

m1kea
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

You know I’ll like that. Like the white headtube. But don’t those older frames have a nice ride, not comparing them to the modern stuff, but nice in their own/different way.

I was going to suggest an old Campag Chorus aero post, try Hillary Stone.

Now because it’s so nice my nit picking is going to make sound a twunt, but the kits almost too good for that winter build look? if that makes sense.

Edit; Nah scrub that it looks great, perhaps a classic wheelset though? Campag hubs and Open Pro CDs or Ceramics for that old full grey look.

I recently brought an Enigma Etape as a winter bike and it has a selection of Dura Ace on it at the mo. – Overkill bling? Probably but I need to ensure I stay riding this winter and this is my incentive.

I know what you mean re classic frames and matching similar era components. Modern stuff can look odd on noodly steel frames 😀

TiRed

Lovely. i have a 20 year old Dura Ace seatpost that would finish it off, if you want to swap 🙂

twinklydave

Nice!
    I’d be happy on that through the summer! 🙂

angryratio
    Free Member

Winter bike.. i.e. excuse to lavish cash on yet another bike.
    Great fun.

Oh and that is lovely.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Unseasonal bike content – Just finished winter road bike restoration’ is closed to new replies.