• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • University Challenge – Star Wars Question
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

On tonight's programme the picture round asked the teams to name the character and the actors who played them in two different films. One of the pictures had Darth Vader in Empire and Anakin Skywalker in either episode two or three.

Darth Vadar was actually played by two people in the same film; David Prowse in the suit and James Earl Jones doing the voice.

So what should be the correct answer?

ourmaninthenorth

my alma mater was on tonight. I hope they won, even if it did require knowledge of such geekery.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the guy deserved the points all the same. No need to be picky about it.

Kuco

imo both should get an answer and a bonus point for mentioning both.

donsimon
    Free Member

David Prowse was the actor.
    James Earl Jones was the voice over artist.

If the question was about the actor, then David Prowse is correct.

But I'm sure someone will be along to say I'm wrong.

anjs
    Free Member

What about the actor who played him in the orignal ROTJ when his mask is removed?

headfirst
    Free Member

I thought Eddie Izzard did the voice over???

Junkyard
    Free Member

what don said one was the actor one was the voice. If it was picture asking you to name the actors it would be odd/wrong to name the voice artists not pictured.

RustySpanner

I take it everyone's heard this?

The Saga Begins.

skidartist
    Free Member

Aye – James Earl Boggins* Jones, was the voice not the actor, but I think he's also uncredited in either role. Strictly speaking -if theres no credit then he didn't do it.

Anyway its obviously not Jones, if it was Starwars would have sounded like this

*Yes really

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would have loved to see Paxman's response to the question 'do you want the guy in the suit or the guy who did the voice?'

For the record, the guy answerd Prowse. And I think James Earl Jones would be pretty miffed not to be described as the voice actor for the part.

Cougar

It showed a picture and said "name the actor" – seemed pretty clear cut to me. Had they have played an audio clip it would have been a different answer, but James Earl Jones had absolutely nothing to do with the question as set.

Let me guess, you shouted out "James Earl Jones!" and have been getting stick from your family for getting it wrong?

Admiralable
    Free Member

4 people (at least) have played darth vadar/anakin skywalker in the star wars films.
    David Prowse – Body in Original saga
    James Earl Jones – voice
    Sebastian Shaw – no helmet
    Hayden Christiansen – Anakin/Vadar in revenge of the sith

I'm sure others have helped out but they're the credited ones.

Admiralable
    Free Member

David Prowse was supposed to be making a return as Vadar in revenge of the sith but was too ill.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No I knew full well it was two actors that created the character. My beef is that I would class voice overs as just as much acting as being in the costume on set.

molgrips
    Free Member

For a bonus point, without looking online, what else has James Earl Jones been in?

Northwind

If you go and see a dubbed foreign film, who plays the title role? No different IMO.

James Earl Jones was also in Sneakers and By Dawn's Early Light, gimme points naow.

Admiralable
    Free Member

molgrips – without the looking online.

Best of the best with Eric Roberts
    conan the barbarian with arnie
    coming to america
    lion king

Sawyer
    Free Member

Anakin was played by Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace IIRC.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I thought Eddie Izzard did the voice over???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

hehe I love that video 😛

geetee1972
    Free Member

For a bonus point, without looking online, what else has James Earl Jones been in?

Lots of things, but the one I love the most was 'The Bingo Long Travelling All Stars and Motor Kings', which also had Billy Dee Williams in who played Lando Calrissian in the original trilogy.
    Anyone else remember that film?

tron
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about why university challenge has such daft questions these days!

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of those JEJ films I haven't seen. I forgot about Coming to America, the one I was thinking of was Monsters Inc

Macgyver

James Earl Jones was Admiral Greer (i think) in Clear and Present Danger with Harrison Ford

Drac

Most of those JEJ films I haven't seen. I forgot about Coming to America, the one I was thinking of was Monsters Inc

Are you Vic Reeves?

Voice artists aren't classed as actors hence why Prowse was one of the acceptable answers.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Field of Dreams too

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you Vic Reeves?

Eh?

Drac

Eh?

Bob in this case but you get the idea.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘University Challenge – Star Wars Question’ is closed to new replies.