• This topic has 49 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Underworld – dubnobasswithmyheadman tour
  • spacey

I’m off to see them in Manchester tomorrow and have now had my expectations lowered slightly, still very excited though. One question -Dez – surely it’s Karl Hyde and Rick Smith, Underworld without Karl’s lyrics would be like a bike without wheels….

mrchrispy

I’m looking forward to tomorrow at the Manc AllbertHall, also a free after party thingy for tickets holders (so not really free).

I’ve a ticket going it anyone is after one.

DezB
    Free Member

One question -Dez – surely it’s Karl Hyde and Rick Smith

It’s Karl (yeah sorry I said Rick, meant Karl!). He’s singing, playing bass, playing guitar, dancin’… but Rick Smith is ill, so Darren Price stands in on the CD player 😉

River of Bass was completely drowned out by audience hubbub 🙁

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was at the Hammersmith gig and I had a great time. OK there were issues like it being way too quiet, River Of Bass was more of a trickle, but it was still a lot of fun. We were upstairs in the circle but I don’t think anyone was sat down. I was lucky to be on the end of a row so spent the whole time dancing in the aisle. I’d definitely go again, but I’ve never seen them before so have nothing to compare to.

On the subject of talking through a gig, Bonobo in Birmingham was the worst I’ve ever been to. It was like people had gone just so they could say they had been rather than see the act. I am not confrontational at all but I told one bloke to “STFU”. When he replied I was being rude I pointed out I had paid good money to see Bononbo, not listen so some boring chump witter on at his bored looking bird. That seemed to do the job. If you want to chat, clear off and do it somewhere else!

2tyred

Loved this album at the time, still do, but no interest at all in going to see some of Underworld play it live in 2015, even though the Glasgow show will probably sound pretty good, given its in the royal concert hall.

Really dislike this whole anniversary/reformation/whole album retro gig thing. Your youth was your youth, and the reason it was so great is because you didn’t have the adult life you have now. It just won’t be the same now, let it go!

I try and apply the Creative Peak Rule for gigs – don’t go and see a band once they’re past their creative peak, it’ll most likely just be disappointment and could end up tarnishing the times you saw them before they’d reached it.

I’ve ignored this for a couple gigs in recent years, and all its done is remind me that the rule is a good one. Public Enemy performing Nation of Millions was undeniably good, but compared to the impact they had on the 16 year old me the first time I saw them play it was just a bit hollow. I saw My Bloody Valentine loads of times in the Creation days and it was only the fact that MBV was imminent that persuaded me to go see them a few years ago, but I wish I hadn’t bothered. Standing in a crowd full of 40 year olds nursing a single pint and checking their phones for babysitter updates – despite being that age myself, having a phone and using a babysitter that night too – was just crap compared to the intoxicated haze that previous MBV gigs had been seen through. Urgh.

Was tempted for a bit by JAMC playing Psychocandy last year at the Barras, but nah.

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty much my policy – won’t go see anyone charging £20 or more per ticket. But Underworld are special. I’ve loved everything they’ve done from dubnobass and since. I’ll be looking forward to their new stuff too. I don’t think there’s one single other band I can say that about.

Was tempted for a bit by JAMC playing Psychocandy last year

If the gig I saw 5 years or so ago was anything to go by, that would be even worse. Going through the motions, sums it up.
    Especially compared to how Psychocandy was played originally (check the youtube vids).

2tyred

won’t go see anyone charging £20 or more per ticket

£12 was my ceiling for years, but even £20 is getting difficult now. Tame Impala later this year is something like £25!

I blame the Flaming Lips for that, ticket prices when they toured for Yoshimi were a good jump higher than average and they blamed their elaborate set, but everyone just seemed to follow suit and suddenly gigs were more expensive.

Nick Cave wants £65 this year! I’d expect him to cook me a meal for that.

My sister went to see Noel Gallagher the other night, for the ticket cost I’d be wanting Elvis Presley himself, back from the dead.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A £20 limit would stop me seeing most of the acts I want to see. I don’t know if London prices are higher than elsewhere but I’d struggle to see many folk under it.

Nils Frahm at Camden Roundhouse from £20

Cinematic Orchestra in Hammersmith from £27.50

I’d still get to see Ulrich Schnauss if the booking fees are not too bad.

DezB
    Free Member

Suits me. Small bands in small venues. Last time I paid £20 it was for MF Doom and it was shit.
    Glass Animals Monday – £10 (well, I actually paid £20 for 2 tickets and my mate bailed on the night, so I guess that cost me 20!)
    Sleaford Mods tonight – £11 🙂

jwt
    Free Member

A mate lives in Amsterdam, so with a tour date there I’d hoped to get tickets and go and see them. It seems tickets for that gig were as common as snowballs in hell……..

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Underworld – dubnobasswithmyheadman tour’ is closed to new replies.