• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by wl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Undershorts – recommend me a decent and affordable pair
  • wl
    Free Member

After a pair of undershorts to ride off-road xc in. Need to be a decent fit and well enough padded, and cost around £10-20 (otherwise I might as well buy cheap shorts that come with pads). Anything like the pads that come in Fox Ranger shorts or Royal Hexlite will do. I’m guessing something from Altura or Endura? Can anyone recommend a pair and give info on sizing so I can buy online. Ta.

Simon

I really like Fox Evolution short liners, don’t know what size you are but Stif have size small for £17.99.

cookeaa

Mght as well go with these for under a tenner

I’ve worn their Standard cheap padded shorts under baggies and on their own, either ways good, having previously tried an endura pair of undershorts (basically a bair of boxers with a pad) and found the concept pretty flawd TBH, I’d just wear cheap cycling shorts / bibs under baggies, the gopping colour doesn’t really matter if worn under something else.

MadPierre

I’ve always found the Endura ones comfy and long lasting http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mesh-clickfast-liner-2013/rp-prod51305

Squidlord
    Free Member

Although they’re not as nice as my Fox ones, I’ve had no issues with the cheap-as-chips ones from Lidl.

rj2dj
    Free Member

I have a pair of DHBs from Wiggle – do the job nicely. They are under £20 normally.

_daveR
    Free Member

+1 for DHBs from wiggle. Had mine a while and keep my plums nice and happy.

big_scot_nanny

may I be so bold as to suggest sir tries, jsut once, a pair of good fitting bib shorts? sportspursuit, CRC, wiggle will ahve ones in your budget I am sure.

I know, they are horrific, basically a leotard, and cause my kids hysterics when I come home to change after the commute, but my goodness they are infinitely better (comfort, not bunching, do not slide down my arse) than a short liner.

Just my tuppence worth.

stumpy01

Just bought my first pair of dhb bib shorts from Wiggle – they were on offer for £24. Not ridden in them yet (they only turned up yesterday afternoon), but have tried them on and they seem really comfy. Will be giving then an outing tomorrow night and will probably get another pair if they are any good.

I bought some of the really cheap BTwin ones from Decathlon and IMO they are awful. The pad is too large and a funny shape, so it just folds itself into a V that gets wedged up your crack. Then they start sliding down and the material snags the saddle every time you stand up. Assigned to the ’emergency use only’ pile I think.

A mate of mine uses “Funkier” cycling shorts – yeah, stupid name, but really raves about how good they are.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

madison bamboo. Cracking.

TiRed

Bib shorts. You’ll never go back. Start with dhb or decathlon.

wl
    Free Member

Thanks all. DHBs – do they have enough padding, or are they slimmed down for triathletes? And is the sizing fairly accurate – I’m a 32″ waist but would probably err on a medium, not small. Ta.

TooTall
    Free Member

a pair of good fitting bib shorts

I’d agree on comfort etc, but I’ve never had good results using bibs with another pair of shorts over them. I’ve used Gore, Pearl Izumi etc and they have worn really badly where the overshorts rubbed. I’ve never had the same trouble with non-bib shorts as liners. I guess the lycra used is less fancy and a bit tougher.

TiRed

Really? Never noticed with my Endura Humvees. Much prefer bibs to the integral short liners.

fathomer

On the subject of bibs, anyone care to recommend some cheap ones that aren’t DHB, they have that red tag that sits just above you arse crack and properly irritates, especially with baggies over the top?

I’ve got the same problem with both my normal 3/4’s and Aeron Pro bib’s, they’re great aprt from that!

big_scot_nanny

Bit more expensive, but I’m having loads of love for Campagnolo bibs in summer and winter flavour. Lovely, and not stupid price. They size in a similar way to mavic IMHO – i.e. quite big.

Also bought some ZipVit bibs on a PSA off of here, they are also marvellous but maybe a touch, just a touch, short on the leotard straps.

Kev

stumpy01

wl – Member
    Thanks all. DHBs – do they have enough padding, or are they slimmed down for triathletes? And is the sizing fairly accurate – I’m a 32″ waist but would probably err on a medium, not small. Ta.

They are no thinner in terms of padding than all my other cycling shorts, so I don’t think they are slimmed down for triathletes….
    I am around a 32″ waist (32+, perhaps?!) and the medium was good for me. I reckon you’d be fine with a medium….free returns anyway with Wiggle, so no real issue if you get the wrong size anyway (apart from having to wait for some more to turn up)….

wl
    Free Member

Stumpy – cheers for that, I’ll get some mediums ordered.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Undershorts – recommend me a decent and affordable pair’ is closed to new replies.