Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ulva/Gometra – anyone know much about the islands?
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we are going to be camping on Ulva or Gometra for a couple of days in August and even though i have a 1:25K map of the area i'm looking for advice as to where is best to do so. I'd like west coast if possible for sunsets/view out to sea but if the weather is inclement (highly likely) then some shelter may be required. Does anyone know if the south coast of Ulva is accessible by double track or if it's a singletrack path to get there, i quite like the look of the cliffs and islands below Beinn Chreagach

not anticipating much help on this one as it's not a very accessible place!

ta

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Likey to be very craggy inaccesible by bike imo

Try asking here:

http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, looking around on geograph suggests otherwise, there is abandoned habitation on the south coast which in my experience often suggests that a track will exist. this photo is of the track to the south coast which is marked as single on the OS map:

View from the path to Ormaig

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Interesting.

Thats a substantial looking (cart?)track so fair chance it will exist to that quality as far as the settlement at Eilean Reilan and perhaps beyond. I see there are some standing stones / Duns / Brochs scattered around the coast but terran gets steep as you head around. Traigh Ban could well be position A for a camp site.

Mull has a mtb club iirc – try googling asking them

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, i'll see if they can offer some advice. Really looking forward to it as the ferry doesn't run for one of the days we are there so it should be pretty quiet. We'll have a couple of hours to explore on the first night before we need to pitch camp but given the long range weather forecast it'd be good to have a plan!

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Mr MW,
    Had a really good trip there (by sea kayak) a few years ago, camping on the south side of Ulva (circum-navigated between Ulva and Gometra!) and also went out to Staffa between two autumnal storms…. fantastic trip.

Not sure about biking in but the bay on the south side does indeed have an old village with graveyard (former governor of Austrailia buried there and last grave was of an unknown seamen in the 1940s – some poor soul from the Atlantic convoys no doubt).

Anyway those bays on the south side make for great camping – some nice sites with soft springy turf and great views too… relatively sheltered in parts (we had a Quasar so may not have noticed the gales blowing). I'm sure if you hunt around there must be some old walls that you could get behind. Stunning place… well worth a visit… must go back.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Great, that sounds encouraging. It's a popular area for paddlers

Tent should be pretty good in winds (MSR Hubba Hubba HP) but we only have tiny pegs so not willing to risk too much!

Heather Bash –

we decided not to do Glen Lyon by the way, need a bit more experience on the bikes before we take it on, definitely going to try it at some point though. this is the new route:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fwww.mrmichaelwright.co.uk%2FPitlochry%2520to%2520Inverness.kml&ie=UTF8&z=7

islander

South shore has a fairly rough doubletrack into it from the main Gometra road. Not a great amount of shelter unless you get in among the ruins I don't think on the south or north coasts away from the east end which is heavily wooded. Gometra probably more sheltered if you want away from the populated area (10 people).
    Watch out for the locals as they will try and get you drunk;)

Boathouse restaurant very good.

druidh
    Free Member

Route looks fabby. If I could make one wee suggestion, it would be to detour to Sanna once you arrive in Ardnamurchan. I guess it depends on your planned stops though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ulva/Gometra – anyone know much about the islands?’ is closed to new replies.