Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • U2 the Band Poll
  • mccraque

Joshua Tree is probably the most listened to album I have! I’m a fan of everything upto Zooropa. Pop wasn’t too bad, but they were on the downward curve after AB.

I’ve seen them twice at Wembley….and managed to end up right at the front, which made it even more fantastic a spectacle.

So it pains me to say it…that they really should have quit while ahead, and Bona now reminds me of a 50 something that’s having a mid life crisis. Probably because he is one.

The last few albums have been so nondescript, I couldn’t even tell you what they are called. I am sure I must have bought them out of curiosity though.

john_l
    Free Member

I was at that Wembley gig too – aged 17 & about 20ft away from Chrissie Hynde. I seem to remember SOD were brilliant too 🙂

mccraque

Possibly a different Wembley gig. We had Utah saints, paul oaks gold and stereo mc’s

BoardinBob

Possibly a different Wembley gig. We had Utah saints, paul oaks gold and stereo mc’s

john_l
    Free Member

I meant the 1987 Joshua Tree tour, that was referenced a few times before – missed your post 🙂

zippykona

Will just casually leave this here for Mr Woppit
    [video]https://youtu.be/qDVD_BkPehA[/video]

MSP

Is that who woppit claim U2 stole their ideas from?

FFS they sound nothing alike, “the sound” just seem to be an uninspired amalgam of ideas stolen from all the more successfully 80’s Indy bands. Achtung baby is much more original and far far far better done than anything they have to offer.

jamj1974

Quite like that Woppit! Reminds me (In a good way) of Echo and the Bunnymen – I like Echo and the Bunnymen!

I have been a long-term U2 fan – to a lesser extent now. Like many of their fans, I feel they have lost consistency and a lot of ‘spark’ since Zooropa. They have made reasonable albums e.g. Pop, AYCLB and the last record – which is a good pop rock album IMHO. However, I honestly think they are past their best and won’t ever be what they were in the early to mid ’90’s. As a result, I don’t expect to much from them and am comfortable with the idea that they have given me records I will play always.

I don’t get the hate behind their music. They have a great drummer, a guitarist who is very curious and has helped expand the accepted sound of guitar and who incidentally can play guitar in a traditional way pretty damn well. As a band they spent the first 15 years of their careers evolving their sound album to album – more than most bands ever do… I think a lot of the dislike is actually because it’s not ‘OK’ to like them and because of the public persona of Bono in particular…

I can understand disliking the band members because of perceived hypocrisy regarding tax, development (Things frankly I can’t see as right either) etc… Let’s face it though, they have given more and used their position more than most to promote great causes. Certainly, they have done far more than most of us have.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

@ zippykona

Ah, yes. Quite.

I take your point. Or rather, Adrian’s… *ahem* 🙂

vinnyeh

woppit, is “the Sound” your old band?

2tyred

I don’t get the hate behind their music. They have a great drummer, a guitarist who is very curious and has helped expand the accepted sound of guitar and who incidentally can play guitar in a traditional way pretty damn well

Technical capability counts for nothing if the songs are overblown, pompous and boring. See Pink Floyd. Yeah, I said it.

One listener’s overblown, pompous and boring is another listener’s life-changing masterpiece though, so the hate is purely subjective. Each to their own and all that. See Pink Floyd.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

*whisper* yes *whisper*

SaxonRider

Well said, 2tyred.

Woppit: without giving your identity away, (if you don’t want to) is it possible to say what instrument(s) you played and if you still do?

RustySpanner

He’s the drummer, in case he’s suddenly gone shy.
    😀

I’m sure he’s mentioned it before so I don’t think he’ll be offended.

zippykona – Member
    Rusty, start with Live in The Hothouse.

Glad I did.
    Had it on a few times yesterday and today.

Wasn’t a huuuge fan of that type of post-punk bitd, or most production back then, but I do like this.

Well impressed.
    Genuinely good stuff, lots to get into, obviously a grower.
    I’ve got a feeling I might like the older stuff too so I’ll have a go at that next.

Nice one Woppit.
    Love this place sometimes.
    🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

8)

jamj1974

Technical capability counts for nothing if the songs are overblown, pompous and boring. See Pink Floyd. Yeah, I said it.
    One listener’s overblown, pompous and boring is another listener’s life-changing masterpiece though, so the hate is purely subjective. Each to their own and all that. See Pink Floyd.

Totally get that. I don’t like Queen very much but loads of people love them.

vinnyeh

Thanks Woppit, I know you’d mentioned it before, but never noted the name down.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

For the one or two who might be interested, there’s a documentary on Adrian (and The Sound) coming out later in the year by Jean-Paul van Mierlo (fan from BITD). Facebook page is available.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A mole, living in a hole

That’s effing terrible. Really, whoever committed that lyric to paper ought to be taken outside and tried for crimes against music.

So to recap…

For U2
    The early stuff

Against U2
    Compulsory iTunes downloads
    Tax dodging
    Some terrible lyrics
    “Every time I clap my hands…”
    Sunglasses that defy taste
    The fact that a U2 world tour will burn enough fossil fuel to send a probe to Mars
    Eco-hypocrisy (see above)

jabbi
    Free Member

I don’t mind some of the music, Bono though, could you not talk!

jamj1974

I’ll keep an eye open for that Woppit. Love a good music documentary.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘U2 the Band Poll’ is closed to new replies.