Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tyres (sorry!) nobby nic vs high roller
  • johnduke
    Free Member

I've been using conti speed kings(2.3protect) and mountain kings(2.2 protect) over the last year and while I don't have the same issues allot of folks on here have with them I would like an all round tyre that I can feel more confident with going full pelt into corners but not sacrifice too much on rolling resistance. I've been looking at Schwalbe nobby nics and Maxxis high rollers as options, do people have a preference between the two? pros and cons? I now the nics are said to be a bit flimsy in the sidewalls but maybe faster rolling? Also size wise I like the width the speed kings come up in a 2.3, does anyone know how this would compare to the nics(2.25 maybe?) and maxxis(so many versions!) sizes?

spoon
    Free Member

There is a better tyre than a high roller ? are you sure…?

JRTG
    Free Member

Nics are very flimsy in the normal guise and only slight better with the stronger sidewall version. however this isn't it's biggest fault, which is sadly traction in only handfull out of a million types of trail condition. oh and they are a little pricy… but then it all depends on a millions different factors which tyre to choose from!(bike, riding skill/style, area, wet/dry and on and on)

nickc

Either ones are good as an all round tyre. High rollers maybe roll a bit faster, nobby nics maybe grip a litter better. Both run as tubless BTW. Depends on which versions you get, but both have pretty flimsy sidewalls

MrNutt
    Free Member

+1 what spoon said

johnduke
    Free Member

Oh, and then there's compounds too! Having been using black chilli compound contis would I want to look at Maxxis' in 42 or 62a? or maybe a combination front/back?

pinches
    Free Member

How bothered are you about weight?

I run nics on my XC bike because they're nice and light, fast rolling, they seem to work well in "most" conditions, i do find them a bit twitchy although thats more because i only run 2.1s on the XC bike.

My other bike has a 2.35 62A UST high roller on it, i actually prefer the way it feels probably because of the slightly higher volume. But other than that grip levels very similar just slightly more stable (due to the extra width)still quite fast rolling esp with a Larsen TT on the rear.

Given the price difference isn't that much any more (www.nextdaytyres.com) i'd be inclined to use high rollers for what you want.

and, FYI i've never actually had any issues with the sidewalls on any schwalbe tyres or single ply high rollers, even crunching through the frost at the moment.

johnduke
    Free Member

not as bothered about weight as avoiding anything really dragy. anyone know how a 2.25nic compares to a 2.35hr width wise?

thomthumb
    Free Member

dont buy super tackys if you dont want draggy – they are like chewing gum.

no need for a hr on the rear. I'd go for a high roller medium compound up front and something else on the back. maybe a larsen/ crossmark/ ardent …

pinches
    Free Member

i've been using a 62A 2.35 high roller front, and a 62A 2.0 larsen TT out back, even in the snow, plenty of of grip (within reason e.g fully polished ice) the larsen did start to clog a bit on my way back but nothing major.

johnduke
    Free Member

yep, I had thought about HR front with crossmark on the back, might be the way to go.

Sum
    Free Member

…anyone know how a 2.25nic compares to a 2.35hr width wise?

They're about the same. I'm currently running that combination on a bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run a 2.35" Maxxpro (62A I think) HR on the front and a 2.1" eXCeption HR on the rear (defo 62a). Plenty of grip in near all conditions, the smaller rear also pretty good in mud as it cuts through to the harder stuff underneath.

Durable too, and seemingly quite good at puncture resistance as I've only ever pinch flatted a HR on a square edge hit when I got a drop off wrong.

Best leaning over cornering type tyre IMHO

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

low rolling resistance rear (maybe not in winter) and grippy trusty front. Have used a HR but prefer the Minion DH. In winter I have Minions on front and rear, in summer will keep the Minion F and stick a Crossmark on the rear. Cornering confidence comes from the front, and I trust the Minion more (maybe the aggressive side knobs, which the HR lacks, might subconsciously stop me trusting the HR).

Single-ply Minion Kevlar 60a compound is a reasonable weight. Dual ply super tacky is great in the alps but like riding a tractor tyre, and I was forever checking to see if it was flat there's so much rolling resistance.

Northwind

It's probably worth saying, the 2.1 Highroller is very skinny, Maxxis apparently can't work a ruler. The 2.35 is a little over 2.1 across 😛

coogan
    Free Member

Highrollers by miles. I hated, HATED Nobby Nics.

carbon337
    Free Member

Why are maxxis tyres so complicated.

Im thinking of a HR front and something for the rear – for the rear I like low rollisng resistance and something grippy for the front.

Want to keep light weight though. What HR for me – mainly trail centres and some natural lakes trails mainly.

Single Ply, double, 60a, 42a, maxxpro? Arrggghhh

On 317 rims on a Orange five with tubes but would like to go ghetto later if possible.

pinches
    Free Member

Up front either 60A maxxpro (2.35) or Super tacky 42A (2.35) super tacky can be a bit draggy.

for the rear, either a larsen TT or crossmark, or even a 2.1 high roller. normally in the same or harder compound.

the dual ply ones are heavier, but you can get away with super light tubes in them.

coogan
    Free Member

2.35 Supertacky single ply up front and a 2.35 60A single ply on the back. Works for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rubber Queens….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tyres (sorry!) nobby nic vs high roller’ is closed to new replies.