• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyres for confidence and durability…
  • s-keeper

I've been mountain biking off and on for quite a few years but nothing particularly challenging until now. After taking a course I've decided to start learning the technique 'properly' so I can start really attacking the local trails (Surrey Hills) on my P7.

I'll looking for some tyres that will allow me to build up the confidence to lean the bike more and more in the bends and on the loose stuff, while at the same time being durable enough to survive the horrible lines and drops I'm bound to accidentally take. I've shredded up my pair of Maxxis High Roller 2.1 Exceptions (with notubes on ZTR flow rims) doing this, and besides, I don't think these High Rollers are the right tyre for me at the moment since they are pretty narrow and have that lack of tread between centre and edge.

One possibility is a Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph combo, both 2.35 and double defence. These would only add about 250g to the bike over the high rollers. I'm concerned this combo possibly wouldn't be agressive enough for my needs though? I also like the look of the new Maxxis EXO sidewalls, and I think the Minion DHF 2.5 single ply 3C EXO front would definately be 'enough' tyre (though its pretty heavy!). On the back, I'm not so sure. They have an Ardent 2.25 EXO and an Ignitor 2.35 EXO, but the ignitor is mysteriously 100g more and comes in 70a compound, and I'm slightly worried that wont give me the grip I desire?

I'd be really grateful if anyone had any comments on these tyres or other suggestions I haven't thought about. As you can see, I'm not worried about cost (this time).

Cheers,
    Andy

takisawa2

Kenda DTC Nevegal rear, Stickee Blue-Groove front.

tron
    Free Member

Goodyear Eagle F1s.

I also like the Nevegal DTCs on my pushbike – I find that I'm not lacking grip compared to the Conti RQs / Fat Alberts I had on before, despite the massive drop in size. Maxxis Ignitors are a bit faster rolling, with a bit of a grip trade off.

spock
    Free Member

Im sure you don't need 2.5's, 2.1 62a Exception Maxxis Advantage are very good tyres and are alot wider than 2.1 high rollers. I suppose 2.25 advantages would be good for you, they come up very big

RestlessNative
    Free Member

a 2.35 high roller on the front has much more grip than a 2.25 ardent or 2.1 advantage imo

most maxxis tyres have a transition between centre and edge grip, you either love it or hate it really

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Maxxis are kinda grip-slip-grip feel. I took to them straight away.

s-keeper

Didn't think about the Kendas, thanks! Seem to be a happy medium in weight and grip and such between Schwalbe and Maxxis, plus a bit cheaper.

I think I'll get Stickee Blue Groove front and Nevegal DTC/SWS on rear, both 2.35 to give a bit extra spring on the back of the hardtail. Also, only the rear has sidewall protection but I figure thats getting more bashed up on a hardtail anyway.

The Minion 2.5 is at very best a 2.4. May try the 3C in future, if the stickee wears out too fast (I do have to ride tarmac to the trail). Wonder why I hardly see any messages with people running Minion front / Nevegal back?

poppa
    Free Member

Nevegal/Nevegal is just as popular as BG/Nevegal.

Don't you forget it.

Also, mixing Maxxis and Kenda is a bit wrong.

glenp
    Free Member

Is there another Surrey Hills then?

richmtb

Take a look at Panaracer Rampages 2.35, Soft Compound for the front standard for the rear. Good cornering grip, roll reasonably fast and have been lasting well so far

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

as spock says, you dont need huge tyres for them to be grippy, im running 2.1 ignitor on the rear and a 2.25 wtb timberwolf up front, its prbably the best combo ive ever run.

br
    Free Member

Try a Larsen 2.35 on the rear, I use one after destroying a fair number of other types on my HT.

Front-wise, I find its less about the tyre and more about the pressure I run in it – but what about a Bontrager Mud X if you want 'grip'?

+1 Tubeless

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for confidence and durability…’ is closed to new replies.