Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tyre pressure recommendations (road)
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just got some new 25c tyres and the recommended pressures are 100-130lb.
    Now ive read a lot of you say the attraction of larger volume road tyres are that you can run a lower pressure, so do you all run lower than the pressure guide on the tyre wall?
    I’m 9.5 stone for reference.

aP
    Free Member

Try 85/90 front/rear.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Now that’s rather spooky, that’s near enough what ive got in the new tyres – although I haven’t ridden them yet!

stevious

I use 85/90 if dry or 80/85 if wet (or if I know the roads will be awful). I weigh 62kg.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

So the pressure guides are ignored?
    Do the manufacturers just take an approximate weight range for the average cyclists and think “these pressures will do” or do the tyres really only perform between these two ranges?

Sandwich

85/75 tubeless. I’m 82kg

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If you want to be really geeky about it.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQTireDrop.pdf

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sidewall recommendation can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes they lie, othertimes they speak truth and you pinchflat first time you ignore them.

Regardless, i’m similar weight to you and would try 85/90 as suggested by others to start with.

jam-bo

100ish front and rear. ( I say ish as I don’t really believe the gauge on my track pump.

Lots of fast cattle grid crossings round here that are a bastard for pinch punctures.

cloudnine
    Free Member

28c Schwalbe pro ones tubeless at about 60psi.. Maybe I should put more in them?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

30mm Challenge Strada Bianca at between 90 and 120 depending on the ride! 90 for a more off road route, 110+ for a pure road route.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run 80-90 in 25s and weigh 73kg.

Sidewall pressures are for morons

Edit CFH that’s way higher than needed. Trust the harsh ride feels good tho

mattbee

I weigh 86kg & run 90 psi in 25mm tyres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

way higher than needed.

It works for me, though! I suppose the frame’s “comfort” features make it more workable!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

120 psi in 30c tyres?

Do you weigh 140 kilos?

iainc

78kg here and 85/90 front/rear on Defy with 25c tyres. CdF has 75/80 for road use with 35c cross-speeds. Track bike is 120 on 23c indoor rubber.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to put 100 in (well what gauge says) harsh ride.

Nor roughly 85 ish. Loads more comfortable and feels quicker. 75kg

DanW
    Free Member

So the pressure guides are ignored?

No different to most MTB tyres having a minimum pressure rating of 30-35psi really. I think it’s more arse covering than a recommended range for performance/ comfort/ etc

cynic-al
    Free Member

t works for me, though! I suppose the frame’s “comfort” features make it more workable!

Wow, proper SBC fanboi

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tyre pressure recommendations (road)’ is closed to new replies.