Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tv signal problem
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Just moved into new house and there are tv aerial points in all bedrooms and lounge but no matter where we connect
    The tv it says there is no signal
    Tried retuning and no channels found.
    Bin up in loft and there is a wire coming from the aerial into a box with wires coming out heading to the bedrooms etc.
    Whats the problem?
    I know they previously had Sky tv with dish as the two wires and dish are still present.
    Kids aint happy 🙁

jam-bo

is that box switched on.

seavers
    Free Member

Send the kids to bed, open wine.

seavers
    Free Member

Or check all your leads…your box might have the aerial in but is the signal getting to the TV.

Try plugging aerial into TV with out box to check signal?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I have a similar problem with freeview at times like these when there is high pressure. I think the state of the atnosphere affects the signal I can receive, as I lose some of the channels

robidoo
    Free Member

There is no power to the box, just looks like a junction box with the wires and a bit of circuit board.
    Cant drink wine up at 04:40 for work.
    It’s day one and I’m pooped trying to decorate the whole house as my missis is a fussy bleeder.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

tv aerial points in all bedrooms and lounge

I believe means you need an amplifier / splitter near the aerial. This needs power, and they do fail / die.

I’m no expert but in my mums house the box – like this one – failed.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-ca141-s-compact-aerial-amplifier-single-input-4-outputs/54224

New one sorted it.

pdw
    Free Member

Some splitters work with remote power i.e. they take their power from one of the output lines which makes life easier if there are no sockets in the loft or wherever you put the splitter. This means there’ll be a box somewhere that needs to be plugged into one of the aerial sockets in the house and turned on.

Another thing to check: is the splitter wired up the right way round? If they had Sky, it’s possible they were using he aerial cables to distribute the signal from the Sky box around the house, in which case one of the rooms might be plugged into the input of the splitter.

Oh yeah, and check the leads that you’re using. When I had a similar problem I wasted a lot of time because one of the cables I was using to plug the TV into the wall socket was duff.

Muke
    Free Member

As ^^^

For Freeview we have splitter box in the loft feeding bedrooms and kitchen and an small box (amplifier)plugged into wall socket in one of the bedrooms. If the power is turned off to the amplifier all Freeview is wiped out.Sounds like your missing the amplifier box.I thought the amp would of gone between aerial and splitter but ours doesn’t.

robidoo
    Free Member

Think the first job is take the tv into the loft.
    Cheers for the help guys.

cogglepin

Sounds like a mast head amplifier, they have probably taken the power supply with them. They cost about a tenner.
    If you have a look at the amplifier in the loft it should say dc pass on one or all of the outputs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tv signal problem’ is closed to new replies.