Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Turner 5 spot 2006 – What forks
  • BillyBull
    Free Member

Anyone got one? If I were to get a second hand one how much front suspension does it need?

toons
    Free Member

I would defo run a pike, try and get a pushed one if you can, amazing combination.

Search the turner forum on mtbr.com, there’s shed loads of info.

BillyBull is the frame through Gordon? (if not, sorry crossed wires)

BillyBull
    Free Member

Yep. I have Revelations to swap over. Wasn’t sure if they would be OK for now and see how they do.

BillyBull
    Free Member

You Ed or the previous owner? If the leter then we have met in the shop. I remember your Pikes.

funkynick

They are designed around the old 130mm Vanillas, but anything of a similar size will do, that means an a-c height of around 500mm or so.

I use some old 130mm Z1 FRs and although they are a little tall, they are just magic to ride with…

UK-FLATLANDER

Pikes

toons
    Free Member

I’m the previous owner. I’ve passed Gordon’s number on to Ed; Ed’s away this weekend.

BTW its a 2005 Horst Link with the newer turner 5.5 rockers, it’s one of the last HL, so it’s got the front cable guide on the side of the seat tube. So you won’t have any tire clearance issues with the newer rockers.

Loads of photo’s on my Flickr

BillyBull
    Free Member

James,

Thanks. Bike looks great. Looks like my speedball is going to have to be sold as it looks a slim seatpost. Appart from that the rest of the stuff should go on nicely. Have already talked to ed and hopefully he will be able to drop it off this week at the shop. Can’t wait for next weekend.

You’ll have to come out riding with us sometime.

Thanks
    Dave

firestarter
    Free Member

im running my 06 spot with 09 talas 32 forks it seems spot on an i like the option to drop the front on climbs . the post is a 27.2 aswell mate not sure what the speedball is. great bikes 😉

midlifecrashes

130mm 32 Vanillas here on a large 03 and it feels really nice and balanced. Had the vans from previous bike, so maybe if I was starting from scratch might have done Pikes/new Revs.

loddrik
    Free Member

Billy bull, how much for the speedball? I have a 27.2 400mm thomson layback in black I could trade you as I am about to pick up a ml 7/5 frame which the post won’t fit…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Optimal A-C is 510mm for that particlar year. A Pike is 517mm or 518mm. Seems fine on my 05 with 5,5 rockers.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thought the older Turners with the Horst links had an ideal A-C height of 498mm? With the longer 5.5 rockers a Pike should be fine.I’ve got a 2004 Spot and seen a lot of Pikes on them also,so whatever takes your fancy!
    Manitou Minutes are good or maybe some Fox Floats?
    Thanx Max

heihei

Pikes are good. If you are running the longer rockers, I’ve had some good success with longer forks, running a Z1 Light on an 05 Spot with Push rockers.

dicky
    Free Member

I originally ran mine from with Pikes at 140 then changed to Revelations at 130mm, both have their advantages – the Pike was stiffer but the Revelation was lighter made the bike feel better balanced and I didn’t really notice the 10mm that I lost. For most UK riding the Revelation would be fine.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Tried pike U-turns and Pike Dual Airs on my 2005 5 spot. Both fine at 140mm but u-turn version allows you to lower the front end for long steep climbs. Also used burlier forks like Fox 36 Talas and Lyriks which are good upto about 140mm. Tried some Revelations but they flet a bit twitchy/flexy for my liking.

The-Beard

I’ve got a set of Fox Van’s on my ’06 Spot and they’re a perfect match. Though I do wish they were a bit stiffer. I know my mate has Pikes on his and swears by them.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Im using a 150mm Z1 Light ETA on a 2004 and it feels wonderful. ETA for climbs and nicely (but not silly) slack for DH. Depends on your size and style; and where and what you ride I suppose.

Me? I’m a medium built clumsy rider in Highland that likes going up and down mountain trails.

I guess a Fox Float 36RC2 may have been the ideal if could have been bothered spending that much on a fork to match an old frame.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Your 130mm rev u turns will be fine for now BillyBull, should you require more stiffness from a fork then have a look at a set of pikes or the 09 bolt through revs. New prices are bloody stupid though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spot 2006 – What forks’ is closed to new replies.