Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Turner….
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

Oh… er… 🙂

pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

More here

About time!!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Oh gawd don’t show me that!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Very interesting. Maybe it’s time to mothball the 6 pack.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure I can spot all the detail that they can in that thread. I’m convinced it’s Turner, not entirely sure it’s carbon.

But I am looking on my phone.

AlexSimon

Definitely carbon – from the head tube shape and down tube protector.

Looks like a Pike to me (as opposed to a Lyric), so it might not be a burly as some people on that thread are hoping.

The problem for me is that a lot of the appeal of a Turner is the US-made scaffolding frames.
    Now it will be competing directly with Santa Cruz/Pivot/Ibis/etc.
    Most of those are short though.

honourablegeorge

AlexSimon – Member

Now it will be competing directly with Santa Cruz/Pivot/Ibis/etc.
    Most of those are short though.

Pivot Mach 6 is insanely short – the reach on the XL (425mm) is shorter than some mediums (Ion 16 in medium is 431mm. Nomad is 415, HD3 is 414)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not everyone likes the long top tube trend.

honourablegeorge

Stevet1 – Member

True – but the Pivot is short by any standard – I honestly thought it was a misprint – most bikes a generation before it were longer

Stevet1
    Free Member

Actually yeah you’re right – that is short for an XL even by my standards.

AlexSimon

Stevet1 – Member

True – I was just qualifying my ‘all directly competing’ comment, in that they might not actually be similar geometry depending what DT decided on.
    The number of long carbon bikes is fairly low. Perhaps the Transition Carbon Patrol will be one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, why are people thinking bearings? Other than the rumours the czar has already made the switch. Do bushings not work in carbon or something?

coogan
    Free Member

Oh, hello!

RickDraper
    Free Member

The carbon patrol is meant to be the same geometry as the alloy one.

RobHilton
    Free Member

He’s no way far enough off the back for terrain that steep & demanding

8/10 for the gurn though

Onzadog
    Free Member

He’s not off the back, that’s just showing how long “on trend” top tubes really are!

RustyMac

How long has the burner 3.1 been on sale for? Looks similar to the pics to me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure the 3.1 has actually landed in the UK yet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was thinking that if it has a bit more travel than the burner (it’s matched to a pike which might give some indication) but lighter than the burner, it will be a no brainer as that’s the sort of fork I was considering anyway.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Loads of talk on that there MTBR post linked to at the top about Dave T. not wanting to make another RFX – Does anyone know why this would be the case?

AlexSimon

I don’t know but it’s frustrating that DT commented on the thread and gave absolutely nothing away at all! Socks?! 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

iirc he made a fuss about the new upcoming RFX but it never materialised and was publicly regretful about making a fuss.

This new Burner, am i right in thinking it has a new headtube dia ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

A while back, I think dt was saying there wasn’t a market for it. Maybe he was ahead of his time before and got stung. Once bitten, twice shy. However, there’s a gap between the burner and the dhr. Can’t see how this new bike doesn’t fill that gap whatever they call it.

What I do know is that everyone who’s had an rfx/6 pack has loved it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Dave Turner is on record as saying that both the Burner and the last iteration of the 5spot are both way stronger than the old RFX and can easily handle bigger forks and be built burly. In his eyes, maybe there isn’t a gap?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Dave Turner is on record as saying that both the Burner and the last iteration of the 5spot are both way stronger than the old RFX and can easily handle bigger forks and be built burly.

Interesting. My ’01 RFX has been fantastic, and taken some pretty big hits in its time and is still going strong. It is pretty heavy though, and has massive gussets all around the head tube so can’t see how a 5 spot would be as strong but I guess that’s a very naïve view of bike design (weight = strength).

wrecker
    Free Member

There is certainly space in the line up for a more aggressively angled, longer travel bike.
    The Burner won’t compete with the ENDURO! bikes from other manufacturers in terms of getting down a hill quickly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/0GtACxHhKoQ[/video]

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Turner….’ is closed to new replies.