Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • turbo trainers – which one?
  • Jonwilly74
    Free Member

i’m looking for a turbo trainer but i know absolutly nothing about them so can you guys point me in the right direction, looking for a good mid priced one for my road bike.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go for one of the Cycleops fluid trainers if they’re in budget, only reason to spend more is if you need either power measurement or want a VR setup to ride along to but you’ll pay a lot for them (assuming the power measurement is half-decent anyhow). Fluid tends to give the most realistic feel by smoothing out the dead spots and the higher end models (like the Cycleops ones) don’t suffer so much from over-heating and losing consistency. Only advantage I can see to a magnetic resistance one is you can easily adjust the resistance so useful if you have a single-speed bike you want to use on the turbo.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Only advantage I can see to a magnetic resistance one is you can easily adjust the resistance so useful if you have a single-speed bike you want to use on the turbo.

my cyclops doesn’t have enough resistance to be useful with a SS.

emanuel
    Free Member

none,rollers.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

rollers?

ampthill

Any reason for me not just to nuy a £50 magnetic trainer of ebay….

jam-bo

you’ll lose less when you sell it in 6 months time barely used?

spacemonkey

Depends mainly on budget, what type of activity you want to use it for and your objectives.

There have a been similar topics in the last year so try searching – not sure search goes back more than a few weeks/months though. I’ve a Tacx Flow 2200 with TTS and it’s awesome. Costs collectively about £500 if you shop around (about £750 if you don’t).

adyp
    Free Member

I treated myself to a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine a few months ago. I bought it after borrowing one from a neighbour to help with rehab after a knee op and was very impressed. Fluid resistance for great feel, and the resistance unit is magnetically driven so no seals to leak. I was lucky to get one on a trip to the States for about $330, probably dearer in the UK unfortunately.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘turbo trainers – which one?’ is closed to new replies.