• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jree.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Turbo trainer
  • jree
    Free Member

Looking for a turbo foe the garage. To for an mmmbop or soul. Want to be able to record pave and distance preferably.
    Any recommendations?
    Cheers.

stumpy01

Not really enough information to be going on, to be honest.

If using a mtb will you be intending to use a second wheel with a slick tyre on, or are you intending on buying a direct drive turbo trainer and removing the wheel from the mtb?
    What is your budget?
    Are you intending on using it as stand-alone or with a program like Zwift?

I guess you’ve had an auto-correct error in your original post; do you mean you want to record pace (speed) & distance? ‘Dumb’ trainers don’t generally record any metrics so you might need a bike computer with sensor fitted to the rear wheel to provide metrics. If you are using Zwift or similar, then that will record all the stats you need.

You can spend anything from about £80 to £1500 on a turbo set-up, so a bit more information on what you are after, would help.

willard

I had a similar requirement to you (I think) and ended up going for about the cheapest smart Tacx they make. Connects to my iPad and records time, distance and a bunch of other info. It _should_ connect to the ne Garmin HRM I bought the other day and collect HR data too.

I hate it, it hurts, but it’s good training

smallspinsized
    Free Member

If it has a speed/cadence/power reading you will be able to use apps such as Zwift. Don’t need to spend a lot. I use an old Elite fluid trainer with a speed/cadence attachment to provide virtual power.

binners

I’ve posted this quite a few times on threads about turbo trainers, but have a look on Facebook marketplace. Theres loads on there that have hardly been used so they’re cheap as chips. I think loads of gym bunnies bought them during lockdown and they’ve been sat gathering dust

You should be able to pick up a decent wheel-on one that you can link to Zwift (to at least make the tedium moderately bearable) for about £150

jree
    Free Member

Info wise I’m not bothered about zwift. I’ve tried it and it just doesn’t bother me. Don’t want to spend a lot as its just for when the Wethers bad and I can’t be bothered running, like today.
    I’ll be taking the wheel off my bike but I don’t know how easy or hard this is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.