Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless tyre leaking around valve
  • charliemort

arch ex with stans tape

I’ve tried a new valve but that didn’t help. Tried a new strip of stans tape (so it is double thickness there) about 6 inches either side of the valve hole but still leaking through valve hole

can’t see any damaage to the tape elsewhere on the rim but may try changing the whole lot?

any bright ideas?

wwaswas

It’s usually air getting in the rim somewhere else and just finding it’s way out past the valve. I’d replace all the tape.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had this problem on one wheel with a caffe latex valve, which has a square rubber block. I swapped it for a superstar valve with a conical rubber block and it was fine. So I think the conical ones fit more snugly – what sort are yours?

jekkyl

Some long nose pliers and tighten the nnnn out of that fker?

charliemort

it’s a new conical rubber valve and is pretty tight

i think wwaswaswasn’t probably has it

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Which is a great idea until you get a proper puncture & can’t get the valve out to put a tube in…

Northwind

I think waswas is right too.

gazman428
    Free Member

have you tried adding more sealant and going for a quick ride?

I’ve had stuff leak like mad, but a few blasts out on the bike (even round the block) have helped seal it

JamesD
    Free Member

Small dobs of grease around the valve where it meets the rim tape. Job done 🙂

lbjones
    Free Member

If theres not one already, sitck a rubber washer on the outside of the rim under the screw on washer bit (thats a technical term). Dont tighten the screw on washer bit too tight as it deforms and still leaks. If it still leaks give it a good shake/bounce it on the ground with the valve at the bottom of the wheel to get the gunk to seal on the rubber washer. Works for me. Rubber washers from B&Q for a quid I think if you havent got any. Pretty much every tubeless wheel ive done leaks without this (prob sh*t workmanship with the tape but ho hum)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Should be a little rubber o ring, like these. They work for me on any rim.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-tubeless-valve-kit/rp-prod17697

Northwind

I really don’t get the o-ring thing- you’re basically adding a seal to a part that should never have any air in it. And relying on all the nipple holes being airtight to boot.

fooman

A couple of wraps of plumbers Ptfe tape will seal it

dingleberry
    Free Member

I don’t get the o-ring either – the only bit that should be doing any sealing is the base of the valve against the rim bed.

Re-tape the rim, inflate with a tube overnight to press the tape down properly, then give it another go.

cp

Any of mine which have leaked round the valve always seal once the sealant is initially swished round.

creamegg
    Free Member

Not saying it won’t work but if you’re relying on the rubber ring to seal then you’ve done it wrong. Never used them on mine but I use gorilla tape which seals better than stans tape IME.

lbjones
    Free Member

creamegg, your probably right. Gorilla tape, 3 x round the a nice clean rim, sticks perfectly, still leaks round the valve, nearly every time for me. Stick the rubber o ring on and it seals. I dont get it either, it should work without but just doesnt. Been running wheels like this for about a year with no trouble though so it seems to be working….

charliemort

Right – new tape. Still leaked a tiny bit (only noticed cos I put it in water) so did the inner tube in thing for a few hours, grease around valve rubber, and a healthy dose of sealant and it is now totally sealed

Thanks all

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre leaking around valve’ is closed to new replies.