Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless tire fitting !!!!!
  • rhysw
    Free Member

Why am i finding it so hard to re fit a maxxis ardent onto my Stans flow rim? I cant get it to seal and hold air.
    Any tips?

Cheers

captaindanger

try putting a tube in first, pumping it up alot and leaving it for a few hours/overniught. Should get the tyrethe right shape and make it easier

alpin
    Free Member

yes, i guess it could tire you…. 😕

are you septic?

sniff
    Free Member

Fairy liquid around the rim

gusamc
    Free Member

get a tie down or rope and put it round the middle of the tyre and compress the middle of the tyre into the rim well, whilst simultaneously encouraging the tyre outer outwards onto the bead on both sides (then lock off rope/tiedown wilst you inflate), this should decrease the volume needed to pop the bead

The above two posts are spot on

Superficial
    Free Member

I found it really hard for my high roller 2.35 single ply kevlar tyre on a flow rim, it’s just a bit too baggy. In addition to the above tips, you can inflate it with an inner tube inside, then remove the tube but leave one side of the tyre seated on the rim – then when you come to inflate, you’ve only got half as much to seal.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You need to make a home made accumulator out of a pop bottle, two presta tyre valves and some plastic tube.

You need to drill two holes in the pop bottle lid so that you can screw both valves through. The plastic tube goes between the tyre valve and one of the valves. The pump attaches to the other valve.

You pinch the plastic tube so you can pump the pop bottle up and then release the pinch on the plastic tube to release the pressure into the tyre. Its gives a sudden surge needed to pop the tyre on to the rim.

There are other posts on it somewhere on here – I have no photos of mine, but it works every time and makes tubeless easy.

zippykona

I found that I could pull the bead of my ignitors into the rim and it sort of clicked in. Then sealant through valve and pump up. I was amazed how easy it was.

Northwind

Aye, with all my Maxxis tyres (admittedly older 2.35s) just a wee pull onto the bead around the valve hole has been enough to get them started.

jonba
    Free Member

mtbtomo – Member
    You need to make a home made accumulator out of a pop bottle, two presta tyre valves and some plastic tube.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

I did some tricky tyres yesterday. I found thet it was a poor seal around the valve. By making sure there was a good seal there (washing up liquid, squeezing the tyre down and pulling the bead out) it went up easily. First one took me a while but the second one was done in 5 minutes, no removable core and a track pump.

rhysw
    Free Member

Great, cheers for the tips

Get plenty of washing up liquid on the beads. Get a strap to wrap around the middle of the tyre to push the beads out into the rim. Attach the track pump and it’ll be up in about 30 seconds

All this has already been said. Do this and you’ll never have a problem. Good luck

gingerss
    Free Member

I had a go at the top gear north pole method today. It didn’t go well.

Mtbtomo’s method works best for me, but you can use another tyre instead of a bottle.

bigjim

This works really well, I never had a problem with Maxxis/Schwalbe on Crests but on my Arches I needed the lemonade bottle. I bought some windscreen washer tubing from Halfrauds for the tube bits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tire fitting !!!!!’ is closed to new replies.