Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trypophobics unite thread- why be such a knob?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

Why the **** would you start a post saying ‘trypophobics unite’ to attract our attention and then put a horrible image? Fortunately I smelt a rat and managed to not look at it properly.

dannybgoode

DezB
    Free Member

I suppose you could look at every other thread, knowing there won’t be any holes or mention of them..

chrisdw
    Free Member

mattyfez

People don’t generally adhere to the basics of ethics, I. E. Wheatons Law.

Exhibit A. The thread about the lease car

Exhibit B. The brexit thread

Northwind

I am trypophobic, and I didn’t click into the thread because the title is “show you’re not afraid” and I ain’t stupid.

colournoise

Real phobia or social media construct?

Most intriguing thoughts I’ve seen are about a possible behavioural throwback to certain shapes (NOT holes), where we recognise certain patterns as being connected to danger and the interlocking shapes created by close together holes trigger a fight or flight response because of that.

scotroutes

I’m dumasaphobic. It’s a wonder I survive this place!

piemonster

It’s a surprise you survive one of our ride outs tbh 🙂

Events season is over btw, lots of spare weekends (or at least days) are up and coming.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m dumasaphobic. It’s a wonder I survive this place!

Your’e a lot less dumb than me Col!
    I read some posts on here & can’t/don’t understand the title never mind owt else.

I STILL don’t know what trypophobics are! I’ll look it up when I’m bored.

Edit, got it. I’m not a trypophobic. But I don’t like tripe, which is what some people put on here.

carlphillips
    Free Member

poor scalpel technique up there

Northwind

colournoise – Member

Definitely a real phobia. But one that I think many sufferers would never know about, if it weren’t for the internet. It’s weird for me because things are much worse in photos- frinstance I have no problems with some of the commonly quoted things- pipes, weird fish mouths, just a slight “urgh” off wasp nests. And seed pods in the flesh don’t bother me but photos can. But then again, holes in cheese can get me sometimes. Or, for some reason, the fruit in a genius gluten free pancake!

I find it all really fascinating, except I have to thing around it, because if I let the images that really bother me into my head, I’ll have days of cold sweats, insomnia, general creeping dread… And it’s like sticking your tongue in a broken tooth, I can’t leave it alone, it needs a constant mental effort to stay out of it. It’s just really weird, proper broken brain stuff.

alpin
    Free Member

Fortunately I smelt a rat and managed to not look at it properly.

Well done you. 😀

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I actively sought the thread that this one was referring too! Dunno what that says about me…gullible, inquisitive? Anyway it made me shudder a little bit. Depends what frame of mind you’re in I suppose but I just had to wiki it to find out more.

vickypea
    Free Member

Ok, was a bit stupid and should have realised what the thread would be like but I don’t think people realise how horrible those images are to some of us.

Drac

A phobia is an irrational fear of something, finding a picture of something like blow fly a bit unpleasant is not a phobia. It is a recognised condition but it’s being argued that it’s not a phobia rather a genuine throwback response to keep away from diseases, so a rational response.

That said I’ve a friend that genuinely has trypophobia, she can’t look at crumpets and won’t buy her kids spaghetti hoops as she goes into cold sweats if she sees them. That is pretty irrational in my eyes to be afraid of foods due to having holes in it.

stumpy01

Northwind – Member

Definitely a real phobia. But one that I think many sufferers would never know about, if it weren’t for the internet. It’s weird for me because things are much worse in photos- frinstance I have no problems with some of the commonly quoted things- pipes, weird fish mouths, just a slight “urgh” off wasp nests. And seed pods in the flesh don’t bother me but photos can. But then again, holes in cheese can get me sometimes. Or, for some reason, the fruit in a genius gluten free pancake!

I find it all really fascinating, except I have to thing around it, because if I let the images that really bother me into my head, I’ll have days of cold sweats, insomnia, general creeping dread… And it’s like sticking your tongue in a broken tooth, I can’t leave it alone, it needs a constant mental effort to stay out of it. It’s just really weird, proper broken brain stuff.

This is almost exactly what I am like. Seem to be worse with photos than things in real life & certain things set me off more than others.
    But, even though I know certain images are going to make me feel nauseous, freaked out and get like a hot/cold sweat on, I am still fascinated by the patterns and have to force myself not to look at them.

Just thinking about them in my head brings on the ‘bleurgh’ response.
    Once I get an image in my head as well I really struggle to shake it.

I wouldn’t have called it a phobia though – more just some kind of instinctive response.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trypophobics unite thread- why be such a knob?’ is closed to new replies.