• This topic has 60 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • True Detective Season 2 – possible spoilers.
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

“You ever hurt or bully anyone again I’ll come back and butt **** your father with your mom’s headless corpse right here on this lawn” :mrgreen:

Decent enough first introductory episode, could be good, I sense darkness on the horizon!

Klunk
    Free Member

thought it was all a bit silly and all over the place, too many character introductions with too many back stories.

MSP

The first one was overrated, they built up the mystery the atmosphere and the tension, and then the plot just fell apart in the second half of the series.

So I don’t have any serious expectations for the second series.

DezB
    Free Member

The first one was overrated

Yeah, right, minority opinion there. What was better TV than that?

Sky+ed last nights for watching at the perfect time. Colin Farrell is fab.

MSP

What was better TV than that?

Anything that could find a conclusion to the story.

It started off great, building up the mystery, but then seemed to ignore most of the plot that was built up to find an ending. It had me hooked through the first half, but ultimately left me feeling extremely disappointed.

Klunk
    Free Member

they may retitle the new one “true cliche”

with drinky, gambley and suicidy!

BoardinBob

A couple of advance reviews slated it but I thought the opening episode was fantastic. No point in comparing it to the last series. This has that really sleazy LA feel to it. Looking forward to it.

DezB
    Free Member

Anything

Oh, ok. Sorted.

seosamh77
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    No point in comparing it to the last series

Yip, 100% there.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    thought it was all a bit silly and all over the place, too many character introductions with too many back stories.

Think with the format of 8 episodes and a completely new cast that was always going to be the case, got alot to setup up in a short time. I thought they carried it off well, introduced all the main characters to each other good to go for the next episode and gave us some back story.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good to see a proper hour of TV as opposed to the 42mins offered as an hour. Gives them time.

I would agree there is a lot going on though unless I’m mistaken only one flash back to explain Farrels current state of affairs?

Really enjoyed the last series and hope for more of the same/different. If it sticks to one timeline there is more chance of it growing a little more, the first did seem to suffer a bit from telling 2 stories as one.

beej

I enjoyed it but they did try and cram a lot into the first episode – setting up the backstory for all three detectives and kicking off the plot. The first series took a little while to do that, I found each episode had just enough to want me to watch “just one more” to see if it got more interesting.

Then it had the scene with the crazy guy in the mask in the house in the middle of nowhere and I was hooked.

spacemonkey

Call me odd but sometimes I like to read/watch something in a kind of “passengeristic” way, ie there’s more than enough substance/character to keep me glued without wanting to bother figuring stuff out.

TD2 has been on my radar since finishing TD1 a year ago, so I’ll be watching it pretty damn soon. Not a fan of Farrell (as I think he is a dick in interviews) but will put that to one side.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well episode 2 is interesting…. Brings out of 1 what was needed and ended not how I expected

seosamh77
    Free Member

mmm i’m still to be convinced tbh, i’ll stick with it purely because of what happened at the end there, but i wasn’t particularly convinced by that episode. vince vaughn is utterly terrible casting.

BoardinBob

Agreed on Vince Vaughan. Is he supposed to be a proper gangster? Very confusing character. Apart from that it’s excellent…and that ending!!!

Klunk
    Free Member

Agreed on Vince Vaughan. Is he supposed to be a proper gangster?

it doesn’t seem to bother the writers, suspended motorcyle cop to homicide detective with the wave of the pen, the whole thing just seems a little daft.

Pigface
    Free Member

Really enjoyed episode 1

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Just watched episode two, mumbletasic!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Agreed on Vince Vaughan. Is he supposed to be a proper gangster?

Don’t think so, more the business end gangster.

it doesn’t seem to bother the writers, suspended motorcyle cop to homicide detective with the wave of the pen,

More thought it was a bit of corner pissing. He’s there to be there.

Anyway roll on ep3

Pigface
    Free Member

Bloody hell 😯 WTF ??????

Episode 2

DezB
    Free Member

It’s only got Fred Ward in it now! Fred Ward! This is fantastic.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bit of a nothing episode, but yes. It did have Fred Ward, who has been a hero of Mine since Remo. Vince Vaughan is ruining every scene he’s in now. WTF was with the scene where his wife waits up for him? Was he supposed to be acting like there as something in his mouth? Was he swallowing vomit? Was there nothing in his mouth but that’s just an acting technique to appear deep in thought. Hmmm. Otherwise enjoying it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh it’s building towards something, who knows what, but it’s building towards something! 😆 I’ll keep watching to see where it goes. Didn’t think VV was quite as bad this episode, but still canny take him seriously as a gangster. Still no idea the point of the moody war vet cop.

DezB
    Free Member

Fred Ward, who has been a hero of Mine since Remo

If you haven’t seen it, you need to watch Miami Blues. Or watch it again. And read the book 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

plot still seems silly to me, gangster goes legit has all his money stolen by his now dead business partner. It’s so much it’s unlikely to be cash so instead of beating up other gangsters why isn’t he down the bank finding out where it went ! 😕

seosamh77
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    plot still seems silly to me, gangster goes legit has all his money stolen by his now dead business partner. It’s so much it’s unlikely to be cash so instead of beating up other gangsters why isn’t down the bank finding out where it went

Because the deal is a money laudering exercise, he doesn’t really have any legal recourse is what I make of it.

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s paying kick backs to the mayor and can’t go to bank and ask what his business partner did with his investments.

IHN

it’s building towards something, who knows what, but it’s building towards something

much like watching grass grow is building towards longer grass.

It feels like they’re trying to cram a huge amount into the plot, without actually moving the plot on. I’m giving it one more episode, then I think I’m giving up.

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody watchable grass, I reckon.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Bloody watchable grass, I reckon.

Agreed. Except Vince Vaughan. But hopefully they kill him off soon. I’m really enjoying it, loving the pacing, cinematography, score, acting (except VV)….loving it all actually and again I’d have to say it’s one of the most finely crafted things on TV. The only thing you could negatively compare it to would be the original series, and that’s a big ask for any TV show.

IHN
    much like watching grass grow is building towards longer grass.

It feels like they’re trying to cram a huge amount into the plot, without actually moving the plot on.

I think the creators would call that character development. A lot of shows cram in episodes of pure filler (I’m looking at you Breaking Bad) but in this instance I think it’s justified. Whilst nothing dramatic happened in plot terms in the last episode quite a lot happened for most of the main characters.

Klunk
    Free Member

Agreed. Except Vince Vaughan. But hopefully they kill him off soon.

unlikely the bad guys in this don’t use real bullets/shotgun cartridges 🙄

jimjam
    Free Member

Klunk –

unlikely the bad guys in this don’t use real bullets/shotgun cartridges

I think the implication at the minute is that the mayor/police chief etc are in kahoots and have conspired to murder casper. The shooter didn’t kill Velcoro as they need him find a culprit/verdict that doesn’t implicate them. And also, it appears that one of them may have been the shooter.

I’d like to think there’s a bit more too it, since they’ve been fairly heavy handed implying this (or at least something very untoward by them).

Klunk
    Free Member

that makes even less sense. why shot him at all ? let him find any incriminating evidence and cover it up for you or shot him and have every cop city there.

jimjam
    Free Member

Didn’t Frank give Velcoro the tip off about Caspers other house? The way I’m reading it the Mayor/Police murdered Casper (for Franks money on the face of it).

They want Velcoro to stitch someone else up for it. When Franks info leads him the other house they have to shoot him before he finds incriminating evidence which ties them to Casper. No?

MSP

I’d like to think there’s a bit more too it, since they’ve been fairly heavy handed implying this

They did this in the first series, then all the intrigue about political cover ups and involvement, a powerful elite pulling strings behind the scenes all disappeared in the evidence in Rust’s lock up. And it just turned out to be a crazy gardener from an old money family. A plot twist pulled straight from a scooby doo script.

jimjam
    Free Member

MSP
    then all the intrigue about political cover ups and involvement, a powerful elite pulling strings behind the scenes all disappeared in the evidence in Rust’s lock up. And it just turned out to be a crazy gardener from an old money family.

……who was protected by political cover ups by the powerful elite pulling the strings behind the scenes because they were part of a wider network of murdering pedophiles.

I would agree that the ending of season one was it’s weakest point but it was a blip in an otherwise excellent show.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woah there horseys, the mad gardener was a reltive of the rich and elite. Hence the protection.

Enjoyed episode 3 Vince Vaughans character is great and he is doing a good enough job to keep me watching. Did Tony Soprano get this much criticism for going to see a shrink and having huge issues.

I do like the way that everybody is dysfunctional, makes me feel better about myself 😆

Not sure that Nic Pizzolatto is going to manage to do it a third time with out it getting repetitive

Klunk
    Free Member

😯

BoardinBob

Starting to get really good now. Vince Vaughan’s character is much improved. Really nicely done shift in this week’s episode.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘True Detective Season 2 – possible spoilers.’ is closed to new replies.