Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • TRP Recall Spyre Disc Brakes
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

Recall on Bikeradar
    Hope the Hy/rd are ok.

tonyd

Thanks for the heads up. Just mailed them to see how long it’ll take to turn around, will wait til closer to Xmas to send them if it’ll be a while.

Steelsreal

just the mechanical ones from reading it, to do with full extension of the arm with worn pads letting some bearings out…ooo err..

Looks like a couple of week wait for replacements..(new year i am guessing!)

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Recall document says the problem only affected one customer. That will be me then.

Happened about a month ago during a CX race. Front caliper stopped fully springing back. Brake still worked but a bit disconcerting.

I bought one of the first sets direct from TRP so emailed them at the time. They said it wasn’t a known issue. It was going to be a pain to return them so asked for instructions to strip the caliper to find out what was wrong. They didn’t have anything created but gave me some advice via email. Stripped the caliper down and found that one of the ball bearings was gone and it was jumping out of their mounts.

All working again now with new pads but I suppose will run the danger of it happening again when they wear down. Might see if Upgrade bikes (UK importer) would be willing to do the replacement to save me having to send them to the states.

Regards

jimc101
    Free Member

There have been some issues noted on with Tandem use and the carbon version over on bikeforums, but TRP didn’t seem to want to know anything about it.

Would have thought that with getting on for 20+ year of disc use, going on 40 if you count Shimanos versions from the 70’s that things like this wouldn’t get through QA testing, and all the bugs would have been worked out with the MTB ones, not the re-learning that’s going on with road brakes (Shimano CX75 recall)

fibre
    Free Member

Sent my CX70’s back due to the recall, and what did I replace them with?… Spyres.
    Bugger.

clubber
    Free Member

Didn’t tektro lyra disc brakes have a similar issue? Iirc rocketdog or samuri had a caliper pop out when used with worn pads.

fasthaggis

borrax! I was looking at them as a change from BB7s 🙁

tonyd

Mailed Upgrade Bikes about this, they don’t have replacement stock in yet and don’t expect if for a couple of weeks. Advice is to stop using them now (of course) and send them back, they have to go back via the shop I bought them from who will send them back to UB who will then send replacements to the shop who can then send them on to me.

At that rate it’s likely my commuter will be out of action for at least a month from now. That’s really frickin handy, wonder if they’ll also pay the extra few hundred quid it’ll cost me in petrol for a months commuting!

I downgraded from Hope V-Twins to these, what was I thinking?!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Bugger. I bought a set a few weeks ago. Haven’t even fitted them yet.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cack.. bought mine from Taiwan. Does that mean i have to send them back to Taiwan if i want them replacing.

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, don’t piss about. Send em back and get some BB7’s. They may not look as swanky but at least the R&D is complete.

tonyd

V tempted to send them back to be honest.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

For those for you worried about using them while we are waiting for replacement stock I can give this advice.

As above I am the original victim of this flaw. What happened was my pads had worn down before a cx race. Had intended to put new pads in but forgot. During the race, which was very muddy, the brake lever became really loose. It still worked but was close to the bars.

When the pads wear get arm pulls so far that the ball bearings are forced out of their mounts. I lost one of the three balls. I was able to strip the caliper and put a new ball in. It works fine an the strip is easy to do.

I think as long as you don’t let the pads get to worn you should be fine to use them until they get the replacements in. It is a great brake. In my opinion better than the BB7. I am sure the redesign will sort the issue.

Regards

Steelsreal

Just head back from UB and they have no firm delivery date for the replacement calipers yet. They also have no HYrd in stock either, so could be without my commuter for an indefinite period!

Looks like i’ll be commuting fixed!!!

Andy

I checked replacement availability with Upgrade and got this response:

Good Afternoon Andy,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your TRP Spyre brakes. May I suggest that you contact your original point of purchase – They will be able to arrange returning your brakes to us, and we will ship out a new pair as soon as we receive the replacements. We do not currently have any revised calipers in stock; I believe that we will be receiving these in mid-january.

So will send mine back early Jan 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I am sure the redesign will sort the issue.

Thats the worry – how long is it going to take to get a fix up, retooled and working and enough sets around to replace all those already in action. Couple of months without a bike is a bit much…

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Breatheeasy, the point of my post is that you should be fine to use them as long as you don’t let the pads get to worn. I won’t be returning mine until they have them in stock.

hounslow
    Free Member

Not at all worried about mine, used on the road only and work so much better than any other cable disc brake. Upgrade also didn’t have any when I tried to order some through work so had to pay more to buy them elsewhere. Maybe they underestimated the interest.

fasthaggis

They may not look as swanky but at least the R&D is complete.

Boblo

I have a set of BB7s and they work fine ,but I would say that they just gave up on finishing the R&D. 🙂

IMO The Spyres with two moving pistons look miles better and is the way to go with a cable disc design.

househusband

I wonder if this recall is going to impinge upon delivery of the Giant TCX SLR2 cx bikes due to arrive mid-February…

tonyd

Bump.

I’ve been badgering the good folks at Upgrade Bikes for a while, they finally got the replacement calipers in this week and have sent them out to suppliers (well, Merlin at least, where I got mine).

If you’ve sent your Spyres back then hopefully you’ll be getting some replacements soon….

A month of no commuting, I’m just glad it was over Christmas and not the middle of summer!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘TRP Recall Spyre Disc Brakes’ is closed to new replies.