Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TRP HYRD V JUIN Tech
  • wilhay
    Free Member

I have a pair of Hyrds on my CX bike; but they are very inconsistent and need constant rebleeding and fettling.
    to be honest I havent been happy with them since the beginning. I have set them up as per instructions and they have been through my LBS for set up as well, but its always the same.: One ride of reasonable performance, followed by rides of increasing hairiness and poor perfomance until I give up .
    Been looking around, but I am stuck with 10 speed: I cant go over to full hydraulics as its 11spd and all my training and race wheels are 10spd only.
    anyone tried Juin tech cable to hydraulic brakes please? any feedback or advice much appreciated.

inbred853

Bought a set when I built up my Escapade a few month ago. Followed the set up instructions and have had no issues with them since then. They do me for my commute and rare road foray, powerful enough for what I require. I’ve not had to re-adjust them since new, although the front will need to be done soon as the brake lever has a tad more travel in it now. On the whole i’m pleased and saved a few quid over going full hydro.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Are they fairly new? Could be faulty, I have 2 pairs of hy/rds, performance after the initial setup has been superb for a combined ~3500 miles.

cp

I’ve had both…Hy:Rd’s are more powerful and modulation is better. They are also self adjusting for pad wear. They feel more substantial and solid than the Juin Tech’s, though the Juin Techs are lighter.

My Hy:Rd’s are excellent. Rear wheel locks up with a single finger and feel/modulation is excellent.

Some advice on set up:-

1/ Get rid of the stock TRP pads – they’re not very good IME. I currently have Uberbike semi-metallic, and they’re great.

2/ Bleeding – bleed them off the bike, in your hand. Use the epicbleedsolutions.com kit and as you’re injecting oil, rotate/twist your wrist/hand to move the caliper around in all orientations – loads more air comes out than a ‘static’ bleed.

3/ Set them up on the bike setting the caliper central and parallel to the disc. Do it in a well lit place with a light background so you look along the disc line and see the pad gaps on both sides. The pistons have some ‘float’ in them and if you set them up on the ‘undo bolt’s, squeeze lever, tighten bolts’ method, you potentially end up with the caliper not quite parallel to the discs, and the pistons push out on the piss slightly.

4/ Use good compressionless cable outers. I use TRP’s own which is great

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-road-disc-cable-kit-93697.html

antigee

Might be an odd question – do you store or park bike vertically? Used hyrds for a couple of years and find them great though agree on pad comment above. Asking about storage as I once left bike upside down on back of car after getting a lift home and next day turned it upright and got a very horrible whistling sucking air noise from the hyrds

Emailed trp and they confirmed they are an open system and do vent to air so will need bleeding if not stored upright

RustyNissanPrairie

Been running juin tech for 18months -2years on my gravel commuter, stock pads were crap now running discobrakes sintered for awhile. good brakes-stop my
    ~90kg and steel gravel bike well at road speeds.

50g difference per calipers between hyrd and R1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TRP HYRD V JUIN Tech’ is closed to new replies.