Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • russ295
    Free Member

I’ve a 51 your welcome to try but I’m oop north (Newcastle)

jdeasey
    Free Member

I’ve a 51 about to land (just got an email from Freeborn confirming despatch …!) , but I’m near Manchester …

cloudnine
    Free Member

How tall / long are your legs CG?
    I’m 5ft 4 and 29″ legs and have a 48 cm

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

On this mornings commute.

cinnamon_girl

russ and jdeasey – thanks anyway. 🙂

cloudnine – 5’5″ with 32.5″ leg but I haven’t yet compared geometry to my CdF.

Buzz – yours is very very nice, well done and hope you enjoyed the commute. 😀

toby1

Uhh, but £2k for a bike seems like a lot at the moment (I don’t actually NEED a new bike) but this does look oh-so appealing!

the_lecht_rocks

buzz – how did you secure the seat tube end of the rear guard ?

ton

spoke to freeborn today….bloke i spoke to did not seem too interested in a sale. the eventual outcome was that there are no 60cm bike available now, or for the foreseeable.

jdeasey
    Free Member

Ton

Maybe they can’t get stock …

I found them extremely helpful and proactive but then they had stock in my size.

The Freeborn price has just nudged up again the last couple of days (by £100 or so) and I can’t say I blame them – they can’t be making much at the discounted prices they’ve been running, plus they have to build them up.

JD

the_lecht_rocks

my service from freeborn was first class.

i spoke with Tom and Michael for ref.

cr500dom
    Free Member

C-Girl,
    I have a 51cm and I’m a little bit closer (Norfolk) welcome to try it if you get anywhere near.
    It’s a perfect compliment to the Brodie holeshot Ti MTB 😀

For reference:
    51cm
    Std Kinesis build kit
    Shimano DX SPD pedals

19lbs dead on the digital bathroom scales

somafunk

Thanks to Michael at Freeborn i have a spare set of Kinesis CX Disc wheels with another cassette on their way to me, so i’ll set these up tubeless with my Clement X’Plor MSO 40mm tyres so it’s a quick wheel swap should i wish to head off road………..and i did say i was perfectly happy with the Tektro Lyra brakes and i still am, there’s absolutely now’t wrong with them – Plenty powerful, easy to set up and very nice modulation…..

But?…………, i noticed the TRP Spyre SLC brakes with the shiny polished calliper and the carbon brake actuator arm on the Freeborn site so that was me – i had to buy a set of them as well.

That’s it for me, there’s now’t else i i could possibly need for my Tripster……….I could upgrade to Dura-Ace DI2 but that’s utterly pointless ain’t it?, I had a spin on a mates new Colnago C59 Art Deco with king/enve wheels and full Campag Super Record EPS which is a thing of delight to shift with, I thought DI2 was slick but the Campag stuff is a whole different level.

bobster
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – I’ve a 51 down South in Shoreham near Brighton.

the_lecht_rocks

Somafunk, please, stop it !!! I need NO encouragement……. Links for brakes please 😯

gonetothehills
    Free Member

somafunk; I *nearly* went for the SLC but I summoned up a tiny little jot of common sense and decided to go for the non carbon set at about 9g per end weight penalty! Either way – they’re top, top brakes. I’ve not used the Lyra so can’t compare, but they’re night and day compared to the BB5 I had on the old alloy Tripster. I’m looking forward (very enviously!) to seeing them on your bike… 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Spotted them. Oh yes,they are lovely……….I’ll use the Lyra through this winter and get some shiny carbon units in the spring… 😮

DrP

Soma is pimping the pimped there! Lovely!
    I’m toying with getting a second wheelset to stick road tyres on…but then I think to myself it’s ‘complicating’ the simplicity of the bike!

I’m not massively impressed with the lyras…seem to be “scrapey” then “locked”… However, might try some organic pads to see if this helps as not keen on dropping another £100+ on the spyres!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

cr500dom – thanks for kind offer but you’re a bit too far. 🙂

bobster – oooh, thank you and I may get in touch. 🙂

DrP – great write-up on a fun looking day! Interesting thoughts on the brakes though.

DrP

I wonder if it’s just the move from hydro on the mtb, to mechanical on this?

In fairness, they are getting better with each ride so maybe need more patience!

DrP

somafunk

DrP : In a year of use i’ve not changed the standard pads on my Lyras and there is any amount of pad material left, they did take a few good downhill runs to lay down some material on the Disc surface and compared to other cable disc brakes that i’ve tried in the past i’ve found them very progressive in use. I have mine set up very close to the disc surface (but not rubbing/scraping) so perhaps this helps.

As a side note has anyone tried The Yokozuna Reaction housing/cable system on their bikes?, i’m going to fit new cables and housings so i’m having a scout around to see what would be best.

somafunk

FWIW I ordered the Yokunza cable set so i’ll post back with an update as to whether or not it’s any good and how much of a hassle it is to fit, apparently it doesn’t bend too easy, can’t be any worse than Goodridge surely?

cr500dom
    Free Member

I’m tempted to go Hope V-twin set up on mine, then I’ll have effectively the same brakes on both the tripster and the Brodie ?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I am not overly impressed with the Lyras, have the same experience as Drp. Alot of vibration from the front and noisy from the rear. Interested to hear ow you get on with the TRP @Somafunk.

the_lecht_rocks

my lyras also resonate – have tried copperslip but i suspect it’s alignment , not the caliper / pad interface. i will resolve !

cinnamon_girl

Comments re brakes duly noted. Being a Hope fan gal I find the cables on my CdF disappointing.

the_lecht_rocks

there is nothing at all wrong with the lyras compared to traditional rim canti’s , they’re excellent. but they are succeptible to alignment, that’s all !

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the reassurance t_l_r 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If it’s of any use, I’ve been running the TRP Spyres since they came out in the UK – think I had one of the first sets in (Dom sent them sans packaging as they were the last part of the Tripster build and I was desperate to get out on it!)

They’ve been superb. Quiet, a piece of the proverbial to set up and very easy to live with too. Having run BB5s on my original alloy Tripster, the very fact that the Spyres move both pads is the single biggest improvement.

They take a Deore style pad, so lots of aftermarket options are available. Alignment and any minimal tweaking is pretty intuitive and simpler than the red dial on the Avids. In use, they’re powerful enough to lock up with very short lever travel (using mine with 6700 STIs) but give good, predictable braking through the travel. I suspect decent quality full length outer cable makes a difference too.

Pad wear has been more than acceptable and even – especially compared to the Avids and the rotors are very light and attractive. I’d have to say they’re one of the best bits of kit I’ve put on a bike.

the_lecht_rocks

Please, stop the proposals for more upgrades ! I’ve only had it week and already replaced seat post, saddle, cassette, chain, chainset and am now considering new calipers !

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Tell me about it, new rear mech and cassette incoming for mine…..

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I blame you lot!

somafunk

Wahay!…..another one to join our religious sect.

Well done Rob, frame/forks or full build?.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks Somafunk, Been looking for a road bike/frame with discs for a while, (and a road brand/range to add to the biz & talking to customers Kinesis tick the boxes) I been looking at the Tripstar ATR but having a bit more “Cross” layout I had a few doubts about the road ride side & sportive type events, but after reading this thread put me at that easy, and the versatilely of the frame makes sense as well, in case I do some of the local SPAM event like the Blast (Sunday Sept 14th) or Winter challenge it be a good bike to do it on!

It will be a Full build!

m1kea
    Free Member

Slight threadjack s’il vous plait

The N+1 collection currently doesn’t include a cross bike and these Tripsters look like they’d fill that niche. – I have bikes for pretty much all types of riding so this wouldn’t need to be a jack of all trades.

If I raided the parts bin and butchered a bike or two would I be mainly looking at road or MTB parts? I could strip a hardtail down and fit most of the drive train though I presume there’s no easy / practical way to combine hyrdaulic brakes with road STIs?

rewski
    Free Member

Gotta love those Kinesis Ti headtubes.

nemesis
    Free Member

CX type bikes are more akin to road than mtb from a parts persective, m1kea – Obviously stems, seatposts are compatible but chainsets have different chainline (though can be made to work) and depending on what gearing you want, you may want different ratios.

That said, 29er wheels work well on CX disc bikes

m1kea
    Free Member

nemesis

Yeah I’m aware crossers came well before MTBs :-). I cobbled together a 1 X 9 HT last year that basically hasn’t had any use hence the Q. MTB drive train + road cassette would probably still be undergeared but could be a start?

Mind you I’ve just remembered I do have a load of 9spd road spares as well.

I found an interesting 60 mile+ ride / route that doesn’t lend itself to road tyres, but is too road for a MTB, hence a hybrid / cross would be ideal.

the_lecht_rocks

m1kea – that road is what the tripster lives for 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

^^ I found one of those when I was exploring on my new cross bike (evans warranty claim on a folding bike, inspired by tripster thread equals pinnacle arkose 2 :-)) which was a fantastic gravel road in the middle of the surrey hills. Wiggled its way at the bottom of the hills through farmers fields before climbing up the side. Deserted, quiet, picturesque and I never would have found it had I not been inspired by this thread.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Big thanks to Dom, emailed him about a lower top cap. He found one and sent it out to me along with a mug!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.