Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Trek Remedy 9.7 single chainring and chain guide conversion???
  • gj78
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone converted a carbon Remedy to a single chainring with chain guide/guard.

I want to simplify the running gear and hopefully reduce the chain slap, which is very annoying.

Can anyone help/advise me?

Cheers

nmdbase
    Free Member

Swap it for my Heckler and you won’t have anymore chain slap!

snakebite
    Free Member

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

What model year is your Remedy?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Can’t see why it would be a problem, I’ve done this to every bike I have since 2003 (lots) and never had a problem. I’m with you, can’t stand rattling chains on bikes.

gj78
    Free Member

Its a Remedy 9.7

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

Yes, I know what model it is, what year is it?

gj78
    Free Member

sorry, 2011

gj78
    Free Member

Cyclenaut- sorry half asleep this morning!

Got it about 2 months ago, love the bike just want to get rid of the triple and stop the chain slap.

Someone told me that i might not be able to put a single and chain guide on the carbon frame??

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

If the frame has ISCG mounts, then there are no issues with fitting a chain guide. No mounts, no guide, I’m afraid.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends how comprehensive a guide you want. You could get a seat tube mounted one, but it won’t have a lower roller. Using the Shadow Plus rear mech up there will massively reduce chain slap though, combined with a seat tube guide sure you’ll be reet.

akira

Or use one of the many bb mounted guides. There was a inner plate thing in Fresh Goods that might work.

gj78
    Free Member

No ISDG mounts and i’m not sure if i can use a BB mounted one as its press fit?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Ahh, I missed the carbon bit.

mboy
    Free Member

No ISCG mounts and a press fit BB, on a 6″ travel bike, what are Trek playing at? 😕

Anyway, as njee says, you’ll be able to fit a seat tube mounted top only guide which is better than nothing, but perhaps not ideal on a bike so blatantly designed for a bit of ragging downhill. That paired with a new XTR rear mech with the clutch mechanism should be a pretty effective, if very expensive, way to go.

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

@mboy All 2012 Remedys have ISCG mounts, FYI, as do the alloy versions of the 2011 Remedy, just not the carbon ones.

The BB95 means that you can’t fit a BB mounted guide, but you can still run a bash guard.

gj78
    Free Member

What bash guard would you recommend?

snakebite
    Free Member

There is a rear stay guide, was on here in fresh goods some time back….

akak
    Free Member

You may struggle with a seat tube mounted guide as it would need to reach over the suspension pivot just like the front mech does. Compare part and bike in a shop if you can? or keep the mech on…

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Next best option might be both an inner and outer bash ring/guide. Are press fit BBs ever a good idea?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy 9.7 single chainring and chain guide conversion???’ is closed to new replies.