Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trek EX stem lengths?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

I've just added a Trek EX8 to the fleet (couldn't help myself – sod the new lounge furniture 🙂 )

Just wondered what stem lengths people are running. I'm 6' and after a good couple of demos, went for the 18.5" frame. The bike came with a 100m stem, but I'm sure the bike on the Trek demo day had a 90mm stem (and WMB list their 18.5" test bike as having 90mm).

I've fiddled about with spacers and stem height and fork sag, but the steering doesn't quite feel 'right' – even though I think I've got the weight distribution now sorted, it's still got that floppy/wandery er…'too long a stem' kind of feel. However, I don't want to do my usual thing of shelling out loads for a decent 90mm stem, just to end up feeling too cramped up.

Long shot, but are there any other 6' EX riders that can advise please?

(fwiw, I'm 6' with 34" inside leg)

snakebite
    Free Member

17.5 frame, I'm 5'11 and stem 80mm Thomson

LoCo
    Free Member

Fitting a shorter stem to the EX's was one of the most popular upgrades when I was working in a shop that sold them, it was usually a between 90 and 70mm ones that went on.

Chris-S
    Free Member

6' – 70mm

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

6'1"-80mm Stem

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback. (sounds like it's not just me that thinks the 100mm is like a boat tiller!)

marco
    Free Member

Hi
    i'm 5'8" and changed to a 60mm stem after handling not quite right!
    Perfect now

daj
    Free Member

If possible can you quote frame sizes too as I'm 5ft 9" with 17.5 frame with the 100 stem thinking if I try anything less its all going to be too cramped? 😕

Cheers

clubby

I'm 5'9 and ride a 17.5 with an 80mm stem. Found the 100mm too long, but also found a 70mm just too cramped for me. 80mm good compromise between downhill flicking and front wheel wandering uphill.

ampthill

6 foot 4 and 80mm I think. The supplied 120mm stem was a joke. Well not a funny joke but an over estimate of the extra reach needed on a 25 inch plus top tube….

gst
    Free Member

Hello
    I recently bought the same bike and tried an 80mm stem. I thought the bike felt "twitchy" so put the 100mm stem back on. I feel the bike is more stable and the steering more precise with the original stem.
    It's the proper Bonty RL (white) and was thinking of putting it on ebay so it's not cluttering the shed.
    £18 posted if you want it? Only used a couple of rides.

stevemakin

21 inch frame and swapped out the 140mm special for a 90mm Thompson, no idea what the product spec person was thinking about there

ampthill

Was it a 140mm. I suppose it could have been. It looked like a seat post….

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Since my OP I've managed to borrow and try an 80mm stem, with pretty good results. Personally, I think the 80mm would be perfect for 'playbike' style mucking about in the local woodsy singletrack. But, I think I'd prefer a bit more space for longer rides – reckon a 90mm will be the best compromise.

Cheers for all the feedback.

clancol
    Free Member

ex9
    6ft, 18.5. frame
    70mm stem 6o rise.
    I also put mid rise bars on..

cabeaumont
    Free Member

6'2" and riding an 18.5". Preferring my bikes to go downhill as opposed to up I had the standard stem swapped for a 50mm 0deg bontrager (as on my session88) at the shop. Also have a set of 710mm 1.5" rise bars on there too. The 50mm stem was great for downhill but, obviously, dreadful for uphill. Went to other extreme and put 90mm 10deg rise on and that was great for uphill but fely vague when going down! Have now settled for a 70mm 0deg Thomson stem with a 5mm spacer under it. Feels great!!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

6' riding an 18.5, with either an 80 mm or a 90 mm (can't remember what it is ) either will do though. The 100 mm used to knacker my back, far too long.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

The 100 mm used to knacker my back, far too long.

Yeah, that's just what I found. I'm lucky enough to have a small fleet of bikes, so am used to swapping between bikes & setups, but the first proper ride of the EX on sunday killed my back (although I reckon a lot of that was my own fault, cos I just hopped on it in shop set-up without adjusting bars/saddle – er…and went on a bit of Peak District killer). Have since adjusted 'em, but steering still a bit odd.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Yup, it's the stem. As soon as you put the shorter stem on, I guarantee it will feel like a different bike. Oh, and you won't have a lower back that feels on fire after 20 miles.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trek EX stem lengths?’ is closed to new replies.