Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Travelling to Oudernaarde
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

2 options to consider: Drive from Derby to Hull then overnight ferry to Zeebrugge and an hour drive in the morning.

or

Drive down to Dover ferry over to Calais then drive 3 hours.

The former is prob a more comfortable pleasant route but expensive, however will second option be much cheaper after take petrol into account? It would be in a petrol clio, 4 people and 3 bikes…

lucien

Is it really that hard to work out?

Let me help you, petrol is about £1.40 / £6.00 per gallon. Your Clio might get 30mpg depending on the speed you drive

fontmoss
    Free Member

is it really that hard not to be sarcastic?

Also looking for info from people who’ve done both as to whether for the money and stress better off going for the ferry.

lucien

is it really that hard not to be sarcastic?

Nope

fontmoss
    Free Member

😉

Spud

Not the same destination, but we’ve done Nottingham – Stuttgart two years running and first year did the Dover-Dunkerque-Stuttgart drive etc, second time did Hull-Rotterdam, Hull- Rotterdam worked out cheaper, when considering fuel, hotel, time. Just don’t drink too much on the overnight as the Dutch police like to breath test as you roll off the boat.

hofnar
    Free Member

Depends a lot on when you want to go as rates can vary quite a bit.

Also Calais Oudenaarde is only two hours Dunkirk another 20 less

Would take Dunkirk ferry saves you some miles in France.

Money wise its dover normally as best shot though its more tyring as longer drive and remember you are passing London when picking your ferry timle as the traffic can make you lose quite some time and create irritation.

done this many times but all the way to the lakes

crikey
    Free Member

Done it lots and lots; the drive to Dover is ok, and it’s only a couple of hours on the other side.

But… the drive back is a couple of hours then a ferry then bloody misery if you get the traffic wrong, or just dull as ditchwater if you get it right.

I’ve done Hull to Zeebrugge once, and it was far, far better as an experience; beers and meal and bed on the way out, little drive on the other side, then beers and beers and beers and meal and bed on the way home.

You essentially give up two nights just to travel, but it’s a lot better than giving up two days driving up the M1 or the M6.

If you go, you must, must, must go to Van Eyck Sport bike shop in Aalst. It’s the best bike shop you will ever go in, strongly roadie biased, but bloody brilliant.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I do Leicester to belg quite often. My preference is normally Dover-Dunkirk on DFDS if I’m paying as a return fare is usually around £50 and if you miss your boat you only have to wait an hour or two for the next. it’s not a great drive to dover and worse back and costs more in fuel but defo a lot cheaper allround. If I’m on expenses then I’d rather the 1 3/4hr drive to Hull, the sleep over night and easy drive in the morning. Last time I looked it was gonna be £350 for ferry and cabin.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers guys

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to Oudernaarde’ is closed to new replies.