Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Travelling folk knocked on the door & asked if I wanted to sell my caravan…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…given that we live in a “nice” green suburb in North London this is not the norm for our area.

At about 7 this eve there was a knock on the door and two rather big irish ladies asked if i wanted to sell my caravan, I politely said no and wished them a pleasant eve.

Caravan in question is an Eriba so not your everyday normal caravan its fitted with Bulldog wheel and hitch locks so isn’t easy to steal.

I have now set up the camcorder hidden in my sons window on extra long play – paranoid or what !

its insured as well

I feel quite perturbed as it was so out of the ordinary.

Wife says why would they bother to knock if they wanted to steal it…there is truth in this I guess

Before any one says or posts a picture of the following I’ll get them out of the way

perchypanther
    Free Member

Periwinkle blue?

molgrips
    Free Member

Happened to me. I declined. With hindsight, I should’ve asked for a grand more than I paid, just to see.

This was years ago btw and it never got stolen.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Personally, I think your fears are very well founded. The fact they showed their faces means absolutely nothing.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

It won’t be the women who come back for it…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Hello Dave

scaredypants

is that ^ the geezer off of jamiroqai(?) ?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

This happened to my Dad when he had an old Ford P100 pickup.

It was nicked within a month.

Probably a coincidence.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What they really meant was, ‘We want your caravan’, & if the travelling folk want something, they usually get it.

zippykona

What key can open any door?…….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Donkey?

Monkey?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s a common ploy used by people who want to buy caravans. You did the right thing imo.

bails

We’ve had three or four people knock on our door asking about the knackered old campervan that belongs to our neighbour.
    Seems odd to me, but it’s still there.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a common ploy used by people who want to buy caravans.

I hadn’t thought of doing this, but it must be miles easier (& quicker) than looking on the classifieds.

matt_outandabout

So how much?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s the caravan they want?
    Standard ‘do as you likey’ tactic is for 2 of them to enter your property and ask if you want to sell your dog (bike/van whatever) while the other is having a really good look around at what they really want.

Most of the farmers from back home in Kent where I grew up are used to this and give them short shift but plenty of towny newcomers still end up getting done.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Travelling folk knocked on the door & asked if I wanted to sell my caravan…’ is closed to new replies.