• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Travel to Kings Cross / St. Pancras help
  • mudmuncher

Hi All,

I need to take my 4yr old to the Eastman Dental institute at WC1X 8LD, apparently a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross/St. Pancras station.

I’m a 30 minute drive from Reading train station, so could get a train to paddington then the tube etc. but as I’ll have my boy with me I’d prefer to minimise the crush on public transport.

They seem to discourage driving in due to the lack of parking + it’s in the congestion zone + I’m generally not a fan of driving in central London.

I was thinking of driving to Borehamwood train station (1H15mins) then getting a train direct to St. Pancras (15-25mins). Would appreciate any advice from people who commute to that area if there are any better options? Also anyone know what the parking is like at Borehamwood train station?

Thanks!

chris_db
    Free Member

If you download the “Citymapper” app it will provide you with all the details you need. If you don’t fancy the tube there will be a bus.

Chris

stoffel
    Free Member

What time is the appointment? The tube isn’t so bad at off-peak times. Paddington is just a few minutes away from KX/StP. Then it’s a short walk/bus ride to Grays Inn Road. If he’s able to eat, you cold then take him to North Sea Fish on Leigh st, very close to StP/Euston, for top-noth fish’n’chips. 😮

jota180
    Free Member

Euston should be just as easy as Kings Cross if that makes it easier to get to from a station near you.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s a 4 year old boy, won’t the Underground be exciting!? Unless you’re going in the high peak it’s not that bad, and it’s quieter at the moment generally with holidays and that.

If you’re really worried just jump in a taxi, it’s 3 miles. Far better bet than messing around driving to Borehamwood and what not!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mud – as per above, what time’s the appointment ? Don’t discount the bus, I never grow old of the top deck and a 4yr old will love it. Have a look on the tfl.gov.uk site for different tube/bus options

mudmuncher

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips!

Need to get there for 10am, so will be traveling at the worst time.

Will check out the links+app + option of Euston/Paddington provided above.

My son can be a bit lively hence not wanting to be crammed in on a train/tube for too long during rush hour, but maybe the top deck of a bus would keep him entertained for long enough

franksinatra

Paddington to Kings Cross is 5 stops on Circle, really no big deal and, to a four year old, brilliant fun.

I took my kids to London for the first time last week, they loved the tube, I introduced them to tube sufing!

Allow some time to spend in St Pancras, really is beautiful since the refurb and well worth a look a round

ourmaninthenorth

It’s summer time, so the tube isn’t nearly so busy. Circle line is busier, but I think you’ll be fine. And it’ll be a great adventure for him.

Hope the appointment goes well.

benp1

There’s parking around Borehamwood station, but not loads

I’d just jump on the tube, there’s plenty of space and it’ll be fun

You could also get a bus if you’d prefer

br
    Free Member

Train to Paddington then taxi to appointment, tube it on the way back?

stoffel
    Free Member

Ouch. Taxi could well end up being the very worst option if the roads are snarled up for any reason (which they often are). You just need to take a deep breath and brave the tube. Padd to KX is 13/14 mins according to TfL’s site. Bus 35 mins. Taxi isn’t likely to be much quicker that time of day.

martinhutch

+1 for just going via Paddington and Circle Line. You’ll be fine, and there are alternative lines if circle is snarled up.

mudmuncher

Wow, not traveled into London on a train for about 10 years! Just checked the price and it’s £45 return from Reading to Kings Cross, if my missus comes will be £90, so leaning towards Borehamwood again!

Dickyboy

Whereabouts near Reading are you coming from?

For town I usually park at Perivale for Central line or for less of tube journey try the car park near Marylebone flyover (off Church Street) & walk to Edgware tube.

Edit £3.70 to park all day at Perival & tube it to Chancery Lane – 0.6 miles from your destination

njee20
    Free Member

It quietens down massively by then, you won’t be on the tube until gone 9.

Just checked the price and it’s £45 return from Reading to Kings Cross

The joys of peak time travel sadly.

jota180
    Free Member

Try splitting it e.g.
    Reading to Slough
    Slough to Paddington

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Anecdotal evidence would suggest the transport method of choice to that dental hospital is in a massive german car and blue badge on the dash for double yellow outside the steps access.

mudmuncher

@Dickyboy – I’m about 10 miles NW of Reading. Is it the station carpark you use at Perivale? Would there be spaces at around 9am? Is this the car park you mean near Marylebone flyover
    http://www.q-park.co.uk/parking/parkingid/2128

@jota180 – just checked splitting it at Slough and it is a bit cheaper, I guess it might take a bit longer

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t get off the train

Not sure what they’re like on that line doing that but I do it on east coast quite a bit

njee20
    Free Member

It’s completely legit as long as your train stops there – no need to get off. If it doesn’t stop then you don’t hold a valid ticket. Not insurmountable for the amount it saves.

Dickyboy

mudmuncher – always found space at Perivale arriving at anytime but it is getting busier, pay by phone only btw – ringo

not that carpark – the one I am on about is on waste ground between edgware road & paddington green

WillH

Can’t help you on the travel front, but as Franksinatra said, allow some time at St Pancras, it’s really nice these days. Huge cavernous ceiling with some decent upper-level spots to stand and watch trains coming and going.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9izegg]St Pancras[/url] by W Hyde, on Flickr

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Travel to Kings Cross / St. Pancras help’ is closed to new replies.