Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Trans Cambrian Way record – writeup
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi all. I rode the Trans Cambrian Way on Sunday with an aim to finish in sub-12 hrs. Just about made it, but it got quite dramatic near the end! I’ve done a write-up of the ride if anyone’s interested. Fantastic route, a real challenge. http://pedalhead.net/2012/04/03/trans-cambrian-way-itt-11-hrs-44-mins/

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Nice one mate, will give that a read! I saw the leaderboard had already been updated today as well.

MSP

You seem to have some sort of bionic attachments on your knees, that’s got to be cheating 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

You seem to have some sort of bionic attachments on your knees, that’s got to be cheating

sshhhh they’re just really big plasters 😉

cinnamon_girl

Well done pedalhead! What an achievement. 8)

Looking forward to reading your blog following next year’s adventure.

Out of interest, how did you find it riding solo? Wales can be a very lonely place.

Trimix
    Free Member

Pedalhead is at home in lonely Wales since no one can keep up with him hes used to being on his own 🙂

Well done though. Hopefully you will be tired enough for tonights ride so I can keep up on the climbs.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Out of interest, how did you find it riding solo? Wales can be a very lonely place.

Thanks Elaine! Yep it’s quite remote in places on that route, but I quite like it. Probably comes from having two young children, the peace & quiet is a relief for a while 😀

Well done though. Hopefully you will be tired enough for tonights ride so I can keep up on the climbs.

If you keep your promise of a beer at the pub afterwards I’ll go as slow as you like matey 😉

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Nice. That’s a ride I want to do too.

paul78
    Free Member

Great write up and looked like a great day on the bike 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Excellent!

Trimix
    Free Member

I will also want an autograph now your a famous record holder.

pedalhead
    Free Member

ha, you’ll have to settle for a jelly baby instead 😛

Btw, the route would be great as a 2 or 3 day bikepacking trip. You really feel like you’re out there in the “Welsh Desert”.

singlespeedstu

I plan on doing this route with Mrsssstu a little later in the year. I think it might take us a little longer than you though.
    We wouldn’t be able to fit any pub stops in at your speed. 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Oh how I would have loved to have stopped at one or two of those pubs! 😆 I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Just avoid if it’s been wet recently as it’d become an absolute drag-fest.

cinnamon_girl

Better watch out Mark – offthebrakes is a pretty mean singlespeeder! 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent, would be great to get some more people on the leaderboard. There was talk of a double recently but I just couldn’t imagine it myself. It’d be absolutely brutal.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Hmmm – I don’t think I’ll be doing it SS, or any time soon. Just sounds like a great UK wilderness ride!

pedalhead
    Free Member

That it is!

cinnamon_girl

😆 @ offthebrakes. It’s right up your street!

Double sounds utter madness! Having cycled the classic Wayfarer on my own etc and walked other parts of Wales, I know how bleak it can be especially when the weather changes. 😯

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes I know 🙂 I fancy it as either a big one day ride, or a 2 day. Maybe a lightly-loaded tour with an overnight B&B or hostel stop.

Enjoyed Jason Miles’ blog on it when I first read it a while back, and filed the idea in the back of my brain. This has brought it back to the front!

cinnamon_girl

Yes, that sounds quite sensible! Don’t suppose you’ve a link to that blog please?

It’s good to have ideas, I’m optimistic that once I’m back to decent health I can manage a little adventurette. 8)

pedalhead
    Free Member

http://40psi.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/trans-cambrian-way-jobs-a-good-un/

on that note, how are you doing Elaine? Seems an age ago I last rode with you…the Winchester brewery ride I think

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Mark. 8) Yes, that does seem a long time ago! Having gone through the trauma of whether to give up riding (due to hypothyroidism) and moving to Wiltshire, I am having surgery on Thursday. Accident on road bike resulted in shoulder separation and metal work needed. 🙁 Life can only improve. 🙂

So … what other challenging rides do you have planned for the rest of the year?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Crikey 🙁 All the best with the surgery this week. As you say, surely it can only get better from now. I’ve got a couple of coast to coasts planned for July, and hoping to feel strong enough to step up to 24 hour stuff. Would really like to have a crack at the SDD this summer if I can.

piha
    Free Member

Wow, good effort and well done. Good write up too.

I cycled the T.C.W over three days a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doing it in less than 12hrs on a single speed – not for me thanks!

pedalhead
    Free Member

cheers phia. I’m actually thinking that I might do a two day bivy trip on the route sometime, would be perfect. At least the record’s going to stand for a week or two now the rain is falling & turning it into a drag-fest 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Trans Cambrian Way record – writeup’ is closed to new replies.