Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Trans Cambrian Tips?
  • FOG

Me and a mate are going to do the Trans Cambrian in the next couple of months when we can get dates approved by the two Home Offices so I am starting to do a bit of research now. The IMBA website is very helpful but it says it was updated in 2008 so 6 years old now and I presume prices and some of the accommodation details will be out of date.
    Has anybody done it recently and have got some tips on good digs, food, route finding etc.? Also what did people find the best way of getting back to the start? We could do 2 cars I suppose but as there are only 2 of us it would make double petrol money. Advice welcomed.

boblo
    Free Member

Knighton to Machynlleth? You get the train back to Knighton just beware of the timing. If you miss the last train, you’ll be spending a night in Shrewsbury. Go on, ask me how I know….

I camped at Rhayader and a small site at the end of the IBMA day 2. Nav? The GPS file is on the IMBA website.

What else is there to know?

drovercycles
    Free Member

We have some good contacts for transport back from the end – likely to be cheaper than driving two cars up depending on how far you’re coming, and certainly less hassle.

It’s a great route, well worth the effort.

FOG

Well I was hoping for some recommendations for good B&Bs etc., rather than work my way through the IMBA list and take pot luck. I am far too old for camping and haven’t a gps so was just wondering if there were any particularly difficult navigating to do where the route on the ground isn’t as obvious as the route on the map.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Had a crack a couple of years ago, blog about it Here.

It’s a good route. Enjoy.

Map nav should be fine.

Fantombiker

This is a superb ride, few things from my experience….

Maps. We had a garmin and also the paper maps I bought from IMBA. I am glad we had the Garmin, it just makes it a smoother ride without stopping a lot. But I would say there are only a couple of points where it is tricky.

Food/Drink. You need to take a day’s worth with you each day. On some long sections, there are no shops, that’s the beauty of the route. Also obviously a full tool kit. (We had to rescue a trapped sheep with a Gerber!)

Stream. There is a water crossing at one point, so some dry socks may help!

Accommodation. We took the list with us and phoned ahead on the day depending on how far we had travelled. I don’t think there is a lot of choice en-route.

Good luck

FOG

Thanks people, getting excited about this. Just hope we can sort dates and coordinate bookings.

apj
    Free Member

Did it back in 2007 so a bit outdated though I doubt B&Bs change that much. We drove to Mach then got a lift back from a company I think we found on the IMBA site, as we were staying around Mach for a few days after. Was quite cheap (£25 each with bikes) and they took us in a minibus and allowed us to leave our car in their car park.

Then stayed overnight in Knighton:
    Fairview
    Knucklas Road
    Knighton
    Powys LD7 1UP

End of day 1 stayed in Rhayader in a pub in the middle, sorry can’t find the details for that but it was good.

End of day 2 stayed in Llanidloes at:
    Pauline & Michael
    Plas Bwlch,
    Llangurig
    Llanidloes Powys
    SY18 6RT

End of day 3 camped at the big campsite in Mach. Would recommend all the places we stayed in, gave us somewhere secure to store the bikes (apart from the campsite obvs). Also echo the idea about satnav. Enjoy!

chrispo
    Free Member

Has anyone got a GPX of the whole route please? (I’m trying to merge the three chunks from IMBA and getting in a bit of a pickle)

Clink

I thinking at having a crack at this over the weekend, possibly in 2 days. @ drovercycles – any details of your transport links?

Anyone fancy joining me?

parkesie
    Free Member

Did it a couple of years ago over 3 days with some wild camping. Binned the train and got a minibus taxi back to knighton split between 2 it was only a little bit more than the train fair would have been. Its a great route gets propperly into the wilds saw maybe 3 out on the trails, 2nd day dodnt see a single person.

Clink

did you book taxi in advance parkesie – and how much was it?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I can recommend Beili Neuadd which is on route about 3 miles out of Rhayader and the Blue Bell in Llangurig which is a 1 mile diversion. We started a bit further East of the usual start as we wanted to ride over the Long Mynd but Rhayader on the first day is a decent ride nevertheless.

parkesie
    Free Member

We just rang it when we finished think it was about £35 .

Clink

Right – I’m going for it this Saturday!! 😯

I’m driving to Machynlleth then taking train over to Knighton to start the next morning.

Any recommendations for where to park in Machynlleth?

greasydan
    Free Member

We parked at the train station, told them what we were doing and they were happy (and agreed to keep an eye on the car).

Clink

thanks greasydan

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Good luck, post what happens this ones on my bucket list

Clink

will do

drovercycles
    Free Member

I can vouch for Beili Neuadd as it’s one of the accommodation options we use – have had some excellent feedback recently about the place. Stunning location too.

http://www.muckyweekends.co.uk/ is the transport provider we use – would recommend them also.

Knighton Taxis also do lots of luggage transfer for us (and moving people too) and are very reasonably priced and accommodating – not sure how many bikes they can transport, though.

Clink

Thanks drover – I’m sorted now, just can’t find any accommodation in/near Machynlleth on Sat night 😕

Clink

Well – completed! It was bloody hot and this was reflected in a slow time of 14 hours. But I’m very happy! 😀

I parked at Machynlleth (free and staff very helpful) at got the train to Knighton. I stayed Friday night at the Castle Inn, Knucklas. Again very helpful – provided me with breakfast in my room as I was leaving so early and suggested I kept my bike in my room.

Route was very dry. Despite being exhausted the last 2 hours in the hills, with lower tempos and evening sun, were glorious. Saw lots of buzzards, red kites and hares.

chrispo
    Free Member

Well done Clink! Any major navigational issues? I managed to get lost in the woods before Cwmystwyth preriding the middle section a couple of weeks ago but worked it out on the way back…

Hoping to have a crack at it some time in August.

Oh yeah, tell me, are there any good descents on that route? The middle part was all scenery and precious little fun. It’d be good motivationally to know there’s a cracker somewhere near the end!

hambl90
    Free Member

There’s a company called mountainbikewales on Facebook and I’m sure they do a trans Cambrian trip , worth a look.

chipps

I’d say that a GPS is essential, due to there being a couple of ‘halfway down a steep road descent, take the trail that goes sharply uphill to the left (and is therefore invisible as you ride past)’ moments. As well as a couple of ‘are you really sure this is a trail?’ moments.

We got the train back from Mach to Shrewsbury and were told by the conductor that there was ‘officially only room for two bikes per train’ and there were four of us. Luckily she let us make four bikes take up the room of two by hurriedly disassembling the bikes.

Fun route and a long, long way from anywhere, so stock up food wisely.

Clink

Most of the fun bits are in ‘day 3’ – a big slatey descent and some nice singletrack that ends in the slightly off camber slatey drop into stream.
    It’s more about the remoteness tbh.

Again, I’d say GPS essential and second what chipps says. I had one moment (possibly the same woods chrispo) where I lost the trail, but there was loads of forestry work going on.

If I did it again I’d take my ss 😈

On another note everyone I met on route (which wasn’t many!) was really friendly, including a couple o farmers.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

train back from Mach to Shrewsbury and were told by the conductor that there was ‘officially only room for two bikes per train’

its this sort of thing that really inhibits the growth of MTB/cycling. I guess the train was pretty empty. Having ridden with my MTB on German trains there’s no such petty ruling, its actually encouraged!

Clink

The trains I was on wee packed – any more than 2 bikes (both places were used, 1 by me) wouldn’t have fitted without taking bits off.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

ah I see oh well 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Trans Cambrian Tips?’ is closed to new replies.