Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Trans cambrian? Anyone ridden it? Any tips?
  • skellyvet
    Free Member

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you – a few of us are planning doing the trans camrbian ride here: http://www.imba.org.uk/WhereToRide/TransCambrianWay.html
    this autumn and was wondering if anyone had done it and had any tips, good places to stay etc?
    We’ve done sev multiday rides before and are going to do it over 3 days.
    Cheers!

I_LoveGuinness
    Free Member

We did it in June over three days.

The food at the Elan Hotel (can’t remember the name of the village, but it’s at the end of the first day if you do it over three) was awful. It was also a bit of a faff getting them to store the bikes securely. I wouldn’t go back.

I’d read on someone elses post that the welcome at the Black Lion (end of second day) wasn’t as warm as it could’ve been, however they were fine when we went, bikes were promptly stored, and the food was good. I’d stay again if I re-rode the route.

It rained for the majority of our ride, however we still had a fab time. We used a Garmin etrex and maps and had no problems navigating. I wouldn’t want to do it without a GPS though.

Have fun.

Simwit

Also did it over 3 days and would second what ILoveGuiness said about food en route, it really is a shame that places that rely on active folk for their income can’t even boil a pan of water for some pasta, it was everything with chips so choose your accom’ carefully if you have choice.

If you’re doing it over 3 days then day 2 is quite long and there is nowhere on route to get food so be prepared to divert for lunch or make sure you take plenty in your packs

Day 3 has the best riding and an absolutely fantastic descent down to Dovey junction

Would also agree with the GPS comment, the route finding isn’t too difficult but when you’re in the saddle for so long anything that saves all those little stops to reassure yourself of your position on the map really saves you time at the end of the day

Enjoy

willyboy
    Free Member

We stayed here Day one and here Day two

Leave the car at Offas Dyke visitor centre

Day one – The first place was in an excellent setting (nice farm, drying room with washer – we stayed in the bunkhouse)-the only thing that let it down was (we think) the owners had just had a good row and were a little miserable. Saying that the wife did transfer some luggage for us, as a taxi had let us down on day two. They also had some pigs (they make strange noise when you scratch their backs) and let us wash the bikes with their hose.

Day two – just a basic rural welsh pub – had pool table and dart board -owners friendly -room a little basic, but overall ok. We put our bikes in their garage.

When you finish in Mach go to the pizza place (under the arch near the T junction) Pizza’s were very good, as was the accompanying cool lager.

The climbing on the first morning is tough (steep/ grassy). The afternoon is much easier. Stop at the village shop for lunch. Day two is long so set off fairly early. Day three was tougher than I expected. Get ready for longs climbs and good views. Take some comfy shorts.

Ps I bought the maps off IMBA (they are based on very old maps), but re made them with OS getamap and laminated them. Its worth checking junctions fairly well. If you can read a map you don’t need a GPS.

skellyvet
    Free Member

That’s great – thanks for all the info.

Just to push my luck further – did you get taxis to carry your bags and if so was it just the ones in the imba pack or someone else? Any recommendations?

Cheers,Dan.

gavmoir
    Free Member

I’m also planning to do the Trans Cambrian this autumn and was wondering about arranging for a taxi to porter bags between night stops – does anyone have first hand experience and current prices of any of the taxi firms mentioned in the IMBA info sheet? Ta.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trans cambrian? Anyone ridden it? Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.