Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Train tickets.. do they just make up the prices
  • totalshell

live near Littleborough twixt Rochdale and Todmorden return to windermere (95 miles by road each way) £34 2 singles £20.50.. great value just not transparent.
    littleborough to Bridlington (105 miles by road) £37.50 each way if i start at todmorden though ( barely 3 miles away) its a tenner cheaper

where is the pricing structure? theres simply no logic no clarity and certainly no economic sense to use the train. if more than one adult travels you’d be open for been commited to the asylum at those prices.

in fact to compound it to get to brid i would have had to change at leeds and hull. if i break the journey down into those three stages with seperate tickets the price drops to less than £20 each way.. if they priced like this in tesco they’d be closed down.

Pook

Don’t ask. As someone who commutes Sheffield to Derby everyday I’ve seen the comedy that is train pricing in action.

If my company didn’t put on a free bus at the other end to get me from the station to work, it’d be cheaper to take the car.

mrmo
    Free Member

my SO just got on a train to york, standing room only, a 3hour journey, and almost £80 for the privilege.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Don’t get me started…. My company has offices in Lyon, I often get the TGV from Paris and a 1st class ticket is cheaper than Leeds to Birmingham, I get a reclining seat and very often free waitress service and the arrive/depart often within 10secs of their alloted time. The train service in this country is third world

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And if you moved to France all your problems would be miraculously solved and you woon’t have to moan, would you?

How lovely.

dr_adams
    Free Member

the pricing is odd… paid £19 for a single from durham to ed a few years back and a return was £20…
    I think it was messed up by the government selling it all off….

Phototim
    Free Member

I’m on a swiss train as I type this. I’ve been here 6 months and use the train all this time. I think its been late once by 10mins and that was only because it was late at night and they were doing track works. They are efficient, smooth, perfectly on time, have plenty of space for people AND luggage, and a single is half the price of a return, exactly how it should be.

Whenever I go back to the UK, all my problems with travelling begin when I leave whichever UK airport I land in. UK public transport is a joke, not only the price but connections never match up leaving me waiting around for ages. Door to door it takes 9-10hours to get home when the flight is only 1hr20mins! Very frustrating.

jon1973
    Free Member

The train service in this country is third world

do third world countries have confusing rail pricing structures as well then?

crikey
    Free Member

Well I wonder if any of this is connected to flogging off the trains to people who wanted to make money rather than run a service?

Pook

I blame thatched roofing

Coyote
    Free Member

Well I wonder if any of this is connected to flogging off the trains to people who wanted to make money rather than run a service?

Nail, meet hammer.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I’m on a swiss train as I type this. I’ve been here 6 months..

😯

Phototim
    Free Member

The trains are that good here 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And if you moved to France all your problems would be miraculously solved and you woon’t have to moan, would you?

How lovely.
    Your problems are all solved (just so long as you are happy to have to go via Paris to make pretty much any train journey).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Train tickets.. do they just make up the prices’ is closed to new replies.