Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Trails near Strontian
  • beefy

Hello, OK, so I am taking the family to Strontian (Ardnamurchan area) in summer and I am taking the bikes. I am hoping to have a day out on some proper trails when I am up there, but as I have never been before, has anyone got any good trails that they could recommend, maybe even maps/gpx files?

Anyone live up there who fancies showing me around?

Cheers

chris_db
    Free Member

I’m taking the bike there on Saturday, if anything leaps out I’ll post.

C

kcal

I’ve mostly really walked / hiked around there, OP – but off top of my head, I’m sure there’s an out and back trail leading up Beinn Resipol. Doesn’t seem to be on the map though!

Also, at the Singing Sands at Kentra Bay, you could take the coastal path – 90% rideable – round towards Swordle Bay Farm and Ardnamurchan lighthouse / Sanna Bay. It’s harder work nearer the lighthouse IIRC.

From Strontian itself, up and over Polloch will take you on a lovely estate track along Loch Shiel.

scotroutes

I did a circular route from Glenfinnan to Strontian and back along Loch Shiel. The climb out of Strontian involved a bit of pushing but there was a nice descent down to Polloch.

From Strontian, head up the road towards Ariundel, then left into Scotstown (you can also get here more directly from Ardnastang) where you’ll the path going over the hill to the old lead mine and then Polloch. Follow the loch to the bridge then right, past Callop farm and follow the signs up to the col and then down Cona Glen to the road (A861) at Inverscaddle Bay. From here, I just took the road along to Strontian but there is (apparently) an option to cut through Glen Gour.

There’s also a couple of miles of fun wee tracks on the side of Tom an-t Sidhean. Go from Strontian to the visitor center at Ariandel and take the main track up the river to the top bridge, cross the river then follow the track back downstream at the lower bridge, it carries on and climbs the hill a wee bit for some nice views. It’s a “walkers” path so watch out on any blind corners. before descending back down to the village.

There’s a wee cafe in Strontian and some bike hire. You should be able to get some more ideas there.

scotroutes

Let me know if you want a GPX of the Glenfinnan route.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/817qBN]Scotland, May 10[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Easy but very scenic track up Loch Shiel. Look out for Pine Marten too, saw one on the main track.
    It gets a ‘bit busy’ though, with forestry & fish farm vehicles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trails near Strontian’ is closed to new replies.