Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • trails flooding
  • craign
    Free Member

I’m trying to complete my first year uni project on local flooding. I choose to concentrate on flooding in around cycle paths and mountain bike trails? Does any one have any information that they are willing to share?
    Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

I choose to concentrate on flooding in around cycle paths and mountain bike trails?

Has there been any? Did you know if there was any before choosing this project idea? 🙂

MTB trails tend to be on hills, flooding tends to happen in valleys.. but I could be wrong 🙂

scaredypants

you mean flooding caused by mtb trails or just flooding in the vicinity ?

Not sure the former exists – tend to be accused of erosion more than flooding (unless exacerbating mudbaths counts maybe)

If it’s the latter, then you’re picking random flood-prone areas that have bike trails nearby in order to be seen, aren’t you ?

If you’re looking for examples of poorly sited purpose-built trails or bike paths, maybe…

LapSteel
    Free Member

If its local flooding…where is local?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

moray monster trails got washed away a couple of years ago?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK you want to ride your bike for your project. I like your style. 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

there’s an olympic size puddle on one of the original FC trails on Haldon…

oldnpastit

The bridleway alongside the Worlds Longest White Elephant Cambridge Guided Busway is flooded quite a lot of the year just near to Swavesey.

Something to do with being lower than the surrounding lakes possibly.

antigee

not hard fact but run off causes a lot of damage – some sections of the TPT (trans pennine trail) where closed for nearly 18 months following the floods 3years ago(?) might still be some stuff on the sustrans site if news archive goes that far back

oldnpastit

I knew there was something wrong with my previous post. World’s.

Reluctant
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago, when I was riding in Swinley Forest, there was a huge puddle where there didn’t used to be a puddle. It extended right the way across the trail, blocking my way – I could only suppose it was caused by too much rain. My day was ruined as I had to turn back, not wanting to risk wet feet. It was such a big puddle, some local ducks had moved in, thinking it was a new duckpond! I’d have fed them, but I’d forgotten the bread again 😥

philconsequence
    Free Member

reluctant… was that by the lower starpost? if so then a water main burst from what i’ve heard.

Reluctant
    Free Member

It was by the tree – just beyond the patch of grass…..you know where i mean 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘trails flooding’ is closed to new replies.