Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Trail happy HT 29r recommendations
  • ask1974
    Free Member

Here we go again… steeling myself for a new purchase after faffing about with a few ideas in true MTB style 😳

Having ridden a Whtye 829 (thanks to Variflex) and fallen in love I’m looking for options. LBS has one left (in the right size) but as I’m in no rush and rather enjoy making myself squirm with indecision lets have it, what do you recommend?

Setting £1,500 as my upper limit and definitely want a bike that’s more trail than XC, if that makes sense. Needs to be capable thrown downhill.

[edit] by downhill read – riding fast down fun and sometimes technical singletrack, not DH tracks.

Cheers.

😀

Clink

Kona Honzo
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Canfield Nimble 9
    Chromag Surface or Rootdown
    Transition Transam 29
    Titus Evo Fireline thingy (out in 5 weeks?)

emmodd
    Free Member

Singular Buzzard looks good

weeksy

Giant XTC29 composite.

pete68
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris? You could build one up for that if you hunt about on the classified for parts.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli.

weeksy

lol let me borrow your Yelli if it’s not a super duper giant size 🙂

shortcut

I like my SantaCruz Highball.

easygirl

Charge cooker?

ska-49
    Free Member

Has to be the Yelli Screamy!

mattjg
    Free Member

Mini-hijack: where’s the border between a trail ‘HT’ and an XC? Just head tube angle?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29

Frankers
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    Mini-hijack: where’s the border between a trail ‘HT’ and an XC? Just head tube angle

Also this confuses me too

I have a Solaris that I ride for local xc and welsh trail centres so does this make it a trail or xc bike or is it more to do with fork length or ha that it has……

Frankers
    Free Member

mattjg
    Free Member

I suspect it’s a bit of a blurry line Frankers – and that’s probably exactly where the Solaris is pitched too.

ask1974
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Steps out for a few hours and…

Thanks for the list Clink some bikes to read up on, the Transition does look very nice but a bit toppy for my budget. Already done the ‘big’ purchase.

That Highball looks lovely Shortcut, it’s in the right ball park so must go take a spin.

Mini-hijack: where’s the border between a trail ‘HT’ and an XC? Just head tube angle?

Point it down hill and do you get that ‘yippy’ sensation or ‘sh*t’ best watch my line…

Leaving figures aside my classification for an XC bike is light, fast but probably (not always) a bit twitchy due to geometry and weight. Good for racing. For a Trail bike it’s still quick and nimble but feels more planted and secure. Slightly heavier and probably slacker but mostly it’s a combination of unique rider size (weight, leg, reach etc) combined with a bikes unique feel. That’s why testing is so important, what’s good for one is not necessarily good for another and what might be a small difference can make a whole world of difference on the trail.

That’s why we like discussing this so much… lots of opinions! 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Ta.

That’s why we like discussing this so much… lots of opinions!

I find talking bs about bikes infinitely preferable to discussing real life.

Gotama
    Free Member

Another vote for a Yelli. It really is a superb frame for hoofing down singletrack trails quickly. If you’re around the surrey hills and xl size you’re welcome to have a go on mine.

I bought mine second hand from someone on mtbr if you’re not fussed about new……and given the new price for the frame over here is 😯

Edit – Matt that also applies to you if you want to see the answer to your question above. Night and day between the swift and i love riding the swift but its an entirely different bike.

monkeyboyjc

er… Canyon?
    mines great and the 2013 ones are even better….

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3015

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama thx, yes I looked at those, crazy money in GBP, second hand is a good call I think. Ta for the offer but on an XL I think my feet wouldn’t touch the floor. I’ll keep an eye out for you.

I’m still in the market for another 29 HT myself – my plan is to have one setup as SS rigid for the slop and another, poshed up a bit with gears and suspension, for going quicker. But I’ve also become Surly-Krampus-curious which puts something of a spanner in the works!

ps now have a Hans Dampf on the front of the Swift and liked it so much I just ordered another for the back. So ‘rigid fat tyre’ seems to be where I’m heading …

Clink

Ragley Big Wig?

Stuff on their FB page.

phatstanley
    Free Member

my banshee paradox loves the trails it rides in the Borders of Scotland…

househusband
    Free Member

There’s the new Pipedream Skookum coming out sometime soon, but I suspect I’ll be getting something handmade and Italian for the same price as a Solaris.

Clink

There’s the new Pipedream Skookum coming out sometime soon, but I suspect I’ll be getting something handmade and Italian for the same price as a Solaris.

Pipedream looks lovely, but many full-sus 29er have shorter chainstays than those now.
    You’re getting a Gas 29 then?

househusband
    Free Member

You’re getting a Gas 29 then?

Highly likely! Just swithering over size.

And colour.

And whether I want the race or the trail Stambek; would build up with carbon forks so probably the former. Great email response from them! Whereas Pipedream promised photos a week ago… 🙄

Know much about them? I don’t think there’s any in the UK.

bowglie

Another vote for the Giant XTC29ers. I’ve owned the aluminium version and now have the carbon version, and (perhaps strangely?) I preferred the alu version for general natural trail riding. I’ve played about in bike parks on both bikes, and even got down a full on DH course on the alu one without any twitchiness or drama – they really are way more than capable than their ‘XCey’ image.

I’ve also spent a couple of days demoing a Solaris on familiar trails (and managed to do back to back runs with Solaris & XTC Carbon). I found it very difficult to decide between the two, but if it was my only/main trail bike, I think I’d go for the Solaris. Personally, I thought the XTC was better in slower trials-ey technical terrain, and there’s no getting around its stiffness and weight advantage – but when the descents open up, the Solaris had got the extra stability & surefootedness to really let it run.

HTH

jonstanley
    Free Member

I’d vote for a Yelli, as that’s what I have and it’s ace… though your budget wouldn’t be able to build up the bike (without a lot of head scratching)?

Interesting… and quite smart looking. Should be around the £300 mark. Bargain! Geo is much the same as a Canfield 29er (Yelli/Nimble9). Strange it’s for 120mm forks, considering the head angle is so slack (68.5deg)… though usually going up 20mm on any particular frame is “usually” okay. Still, one does wonder why they didn’t just go for 140mm right off the bat? 😯

z1ppy

Im looking for a similar bike myself, the yelli or banshee paradox V2 would be in contention if they were half the price.
    Got down to the Kona Honzo or Genesis High Latitude as was concentrating on frame only option, as again I have a budget
    The Kona Taro bike would be interesting if the spec wasn’t so poor (or am I expecting too much).
    Been pushed away the Honzo due to the weight & pushed towards a whyte 929, though I wasn’t/not really looking to spend that much (pity no frame only option)

Waiting for a my m8’s insurance replacement high latitude to turn up, so I can give it a go & I’m investigating a demo of the whyte

tazzymtb

chumba HX2, Yelli, Nimble 9, Paradox, Transition. Or a 2 souls if you can find one

pete68
    Free Member

Have to say i hated my xtc 29er whereas i love my Solaris. Sold the xtc to Will on here.

edit; will does seem to like it .

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Chromag Rootdown?

Transition Trans Am 29?

ask1974
    Free Member

Hey Gotama, I ride around the Devils Punch Bowl and often pop up to Peaslake. Fancy hooking up for a ride one weekend? I’d like to see your Yelli and it’s a good excuse to pop over that way for a ride.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.

You can have a lend of my Yelli before you dismiss it as too expensive. 😉

z1ppy

I really don’t need temptation like that! Well ok maybe I do, will no doubt be in touch…

singlespeedstu

Bend it and mend it rules apply. 😉

But feel free to try it out.

ask1974
    Free Member

Guys, could we have some pictures to brighten up the thread? HT 29r only.

takisawa2

Surly Krampus rumoured to be another £100 or so on your budget, when it comes out.
    If you fancy something a bit left-field…

I’ve run this with a dropper post, & not found it at all wanting on anything I’ve thrown it down. Not my favourite type of riding though.

IMAG0327 by pten2106, on Flickr

ask1974
    Free Member

I like that. Very nice.

tazzymtb

chumba HX2 on the left

nimble 9

Paradox

yelli

transition trans-am 29er

jonstanley
    Free Member

Livin’ out in Hong Kong now… so had the Yelli frame shipped direct from Canfield. The built kit was mostly from the awesome chappies at 18bikes.

The Yelli in its normal “monster truck” trim:

… and with the spare pair of super-discount wheels from CRC and Conti Race Kings (as it has been bone dry for weeks):

One day I’ll be man enough to tackle this (I’m sure the bike can!)…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Trail happy HT 29r recommendations’ is closed to new replies.