Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Trail happy HT 29r recommendations
  • ask1974
    Free Member

Jonstanley, not sure what you’ve ridden by way of other 29rs but I’m curious whether the Yelli gives any typical 29r advantages away with it’s slack angles? Does it still gallop down the trail?

jonstanley
    Free Member

The fork is a Talas, so half the time I set it at 110mm… so with the sag, head angle is around 69.5 degrees (Canfield geo numbers are static, so 68.5 @ 110mm). Fork fully out at 140mm, static head angle is 67 degrees… sagged would be around 69~68 degrees. Not a million miles from a Cotic Soul or Ragley Blue Pig… just with big wheels.

It’s pretty much all 26ers out here of the yawnful Giant, Merida or Trek variety… and those that have throw a leg over and given my Yelli a whirl commented how much speed it carries… so much so they had to feather the brakes, whilst the same bit of trail on their own bikes, they’d have to be peddling. Stable yet nimble… good amount of twisty tech stuff here.

No issues with getting it up to speed in the open, as again same people were surprised the bike in said trim was around 28~29lbs… it rode like a much lighter bike, say the 24~25lbs mark.

I’ve had no 29ers to throw a leg over yet, here… and my Cotic Roadrat in Monstercross trim would be a really apple/oranges comparison.

Maybe you can score a 2nd hand Yelli? As in the end, you never did specify if the 1500quid “limit” was for what… as the Whyte 829 you started the topic with is a snip under 2 grand for a complete bike? Is it just frame+fork and possibly wheels (re-lace existing hubs on 26er wheels, if they are bling-ish ones?), plus whatever donor parts from existing bike(s?) you’ve got.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! :mrgreen:

PS: I’m still liking that Ragley Big Wig though… should be a good’un.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Here’s my Kinesis FF29, built up towards the XC end of the spectrum, but they’re warrantied for 120mm forks and you can sure get big tyres in there too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ask re a ride…..yeah no worries. Drop me a mail (in profile) and we’ll sort out a weekend. Had my yelli with 140mm at the front and recently dropped it to 120, undecided as to which is best at the mo.

Mattjg – keep an eye on that dampf on the rear of your swift if its a 2.35. I noticed some very slight scuffs on the inside of the chainstay with a nic in there and think it might be rubbing when the tyre is muddy. Due for replacement so may go for something slightly narrower.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli does’nt so much gallop down the trail as stampede!!
    Started off at 120mm,then 130mm and now the full 140mm…considering putting a -1.5 slackset just for shitzngiggles next.
    At 120 with a longer stem its very nearly xc(ish).At 140 with a little stem it’s just a hooligan but still capable of doing the miles but in a more winchy style (did 5 1/2 hours round snowdonia today).
    This is mine in 140/big tyres/short stem mode (still sub 27lb though)

ask1974
    Free Member

Cheers Jon very handy. As it happens £1500 is all in, the 829 is discontinued now and can be snapped up for £1500 so I’ve stretched my (allowable) budget that far. After my last purchase I’m keeping my wallet under tight control…. 😳

Still, I’m starting to get the feeling this is a highly desirable bike so might have to take Gotama up on his kind offer.

Hmmmm….

fudge9202
    Free Member

Really loving those Canfields especially in sic green, but at £850 a frame are they really worth double the price of the Kenesis FF29 or the Solaris?

mattjg
    Free Member

Mattjg – keep an eye on that dampf on the rear of your swift if its a 2.35. I noticed some very slight scuffs on the inside of the chainstay with a nic in there and think it might be rubbing when the tyre is muddy. Due for replacement so may go for something slightly narrower.

Ta for the heads-up, I’ll put some tape in there and keep an eye. Statically they fit ok but that’s not allowing for frame flex of course.

Really loving those Canfields especially in sic green, but at £850 a frame are they really worth double the price of the Kenesis FF29 or the Solaris?

Life is short and you’re a long time dead. Get the frame you want. (Says I, having walked away from a Niner because I thought they were overpriced. But as a consequence of closing that door, others have opened).

1 point I’m liking about the Canfields is that for anyone with maybe enough space for > 1 HT, they need to be different. And it is different. I like it’s been made to do a thing well rather than hit a middle-ground.

fudge9202
    Free Member

1 point I’m liking about the Canfields is that for anyone with maybe enough space for > 1 HT, they need to be different. And it is different. I like it’s been made to do a thing well rather than hit a middle-ground.

mattjg get your point of view precisely, that is why I love them so much but as a first foray into the 29er brigade I’m not sure about the initial outlay perhaps can import one direct from Canfield, with duty and shipping think it should be around £560, an amount that I might be able to live with 😀

monkeyboyjc

My Canyon

but £1500 (£1430 +pp) will get you the new 2013 9.9

fudge9202
    Free Member

Aren’t those a bit xc I thought the op wanted to head towards a more “trail” orientated bike

monkeyboyjc

depends on your definition of ‘trail’…. 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

mattjg get your point of view precisely, that is why I love them so much but as a first foray into the 29er brigade I’m not sure about the initial outlay perhaps can import one direct from Canfield, with duty and shipping think it should be around £560, an amount that I might be able to live with

for sure. I don’t have one BTW, I’m just staying I like where they’re coming from. but you’re making me want one!

@jonstanley liking the brave colourway, yeah we note the bars match the stanchions. steerer needs chopping tho.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Life is short and you’re a long time dead. Get the frame you want

This should sum it up for everyone who is deliberating over a frame/bike I lost my dad 10 weeks ago just 5 weeks after he was diagnosed with lung and spinal cancer my mum has MS so this is my everyday quote to kick myself up the ass and never moan about a shitty day! Things can always be worse, I recently built up a Transition Bandit a few weeks after my dads death ( the bike i wanted)and strive to ride it as much as possible as a reminder to my dad who was larger than life and like you matt always said to everything HE did “you’re a long time dead!” Will be pulling the trigger on that Yelli Screamy in the new year! Cheers dad!

mattjg
    Free Member

Cheers to your dad from me too my friend, and I bet nothing would make him happier then seeing you enjoy your new bike.

fudge9202
    Free Member

matt i think a bit too much Merlot mate but cheers for that

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s brandy tonight, in an effort to fight off the dreaded lurgy

fudge9202
    Free Member

good luck I think you’ll need more than brandy!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Trail happy HT 29r recommendations’ is closed to new replies.