Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trading the motorcycle for a scooter.
  • Joe

New commute is about an hour of door to door filtering and slow speeds. 1st and 2nd gear all the way; and Triumph Explorer feels like it will need a new clutch if I end up doing it for very long.

I’ve been looking at a Vespa GTS300; it feels like it will make the whole commute much less stressful.

Sadly only one space for a bike on the drive…so the big bike will have to go.

I kind of hate the way scooters look and have ridden big bikes for nearly all my life… has anyone else made the change and not regretted it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think PeterPoddy rides one and likes it…?

solamanda
    Free Member

Try looking at the Honda SH300i. I’m probably getting one as a second bike and for my wife on sunny days. I’ve not ridden one but on paper they seem the one to get with very good power and handling. However for me it would need to be good for a 50% M1 and 50% central London journey so decent 80-90 cruising is important.

Don’t forget that motorbike clutches are cheap and easy to replace.

velosam
    Free Member

I am in the same boat, 34rt commute, basically filtering and average speed cams all the way.

While a bike is fun I just don’t see the point. However prices vary significantly and I have no idea what to get.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

After longer than I had expected with a Vespa fad I swapped it for a supermoto to use on my London commute

A proper supermoto too with kick start, smaller front cog, minimal lights, race rubber and a 40 mile range

It was ace for about a week then did my head in. Lovely bike but you can’t beat a scooter for London riding.

Have always liked the look of the 400-500cc class

Has that helped?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I sold my GSX-R 600 due to never using it anymore then bought a Vespa GTS300 when I needed to commute into Central London for a 9 month period.
    The Vespa was perfect for commuting, much better than the sports bike. Took a little bit of getting used to but once I did it was great.
    No regrets whatsoever about buying the Vespa.

Stoner
    Free Member

PP rides an NC700 (as do I), but maybe he also has a scooter?

The NC is light, narrow and all the torque is at low revs so comfy in traffic. They do a DCT version which adds the twist n go aspect.

Then there’s the scooterised one called the Integra

velosam
    Free Member

I thought about the nc700 but prices are still high and I am sure sure it would work well for me, giving the speed cams and amount of filtering.

May work for the OP though! 🙂

To be honest part of me just cannot get my head around the whole seating position, but I am going to go out on a test ride

innit_gareth
    Free Member

I have a honda sh300i.

My commute is about 10 miles – I usually cycle but when I’m late I’ll take the scooter.

Its a slowish commute – nowhere really over 50 mph and quite a lot of filtering.

For this its ideal. Not so quick I feel like driving like a lunatic but enough ooomph to get away quickly from the lights.

If I had a commute with fast A roads etc I’d be looking for something bigger.

solamanda
    Free Member

innit_gareth – What is the SH300i like at 80?

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Don’t really go up to 80 that often. When I bought it I had a pretty long motorway journey. At 80 it was OK, however I used to own a monster which was far better at those sorts of speeds.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My Dad sold his CBR600 and bought a Cub 90 lol.

To be fair he was using the CBR less and less.

If it’s windy, he’ll leave the road bike and take the scooter. £5 petrol a month and bugger all maintenance except decent oil.

RustySpanner

MSX125?

Monkeytastic.
    Want one.
    The new model is a bit bland, but it’s not over here yet.

metalheart
    Free Member

I would’ve thought that one of those Honda NC700/750(X) in DCT flavour (or even a new Africa Twin… 😀 ) would do the job and still let you do what you got the Explorer for in the first place, no? In X flavour would allow you to keep the upright position you’re used to?

Or there’s the like of the Suzuki Burgman (650 I think) or whatever the others are doing (there’s a Kawasaki equivalent as well I’m sure, and the honda one above).

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Serious question here but why opt for a scooty thing which won’t grip the road much if at all!?
    From experience if a Yamaha xmax 250 which was alright but did not exude confidence on cornering.
    Slid off it into a hedge head first once as grip was definitely not it’s strong point then again neither was easing off the throttle ;-d plus the fact that old lady never stopped in the giveway layby (you know who you are PUNK)

So an upgrade to a Drz felt belter even if the gears were clunky and the suss softly sprung and the fact it felt like a pig you had to ride hard to get anywhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trading the motorcycle for a scooter.’ is closed to new replies.