Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Trading in a fairly well-used car?
  • Northwind

Getting a little fed up of my 1.8 diesel focus estate… it’s still basically solid but it’s got to the point where little irritating issues crop up fairly often, and it’s all a bit saggy and rattly. I’d happilly keep running it but money just got a little less tight and it seems like a good time to step up a little.

I’ve got my eyes on a pretty tidy £3500 mondeo estate, but I’ve never traded in a car before… realistically how pleased will they be at the prospect of taking in a cheap old Focus in a sale of that, size do we reckon? Are they just going to see it as a hassle?

I think a realistic private-sale valuation is somewhere around the £1000 mark, but I’d be happy to settle for a bit less for a quiet life! Private sale can be a pain in the bum so I guess sticking it on Ebay with a low-ish price is the other option that appeals…

But basically I don’t know what I’m doing so any advice would be appreciated!

steveh

How much they offer depends on the price of the car being sold as well as the value of your car. Some places inflate the price of the sales to be able to offer amazing trade in offers. Think of it only in terms of cost to change not discount offered or trade in price etc.

bensales
    Free Member

And don’t forget, the simplest thing you can do to make sure you get the best price on a trade-in, is make sure your car is immaculately clean inside and out. Polish, the works. People will see past a lot of faults if it’s really shiny!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

What ben said, even if your going to a garge for p/x polish it up well. A hour and a few quid can mean a huge difference in price. I highly recommend the £1 interior spray from poundland it’s really covers a multitude of marks inside. I have sold a few cars on eBay recently on behalf of people, if you go down that route polish it up well but be honest in the lisiting about any faults to minimise after sales ball ache.

fubar
    Free Member

I wouldn’t spend any time cleaning it up for sale to a garage (other than a simple wash and vac). In my four experiences of part-ex or selling to garages, the 2 higher value cars they have a good look at but sub £3K cars they offered based on a book price without even looking at the car (probably assuming poor to average condition) and then gave it a cursory check before completing the deal.
    That’s my experience but that of others here differ.

higgo
    Free Member

I sold a ‘well-used’ car recently on Ebay and was amazed at the interest it got and the price it eventually went for.

I photographed every inch of it inside and out and was very clear about every little fault (from the blown head gasket down to the fact that one of the key batteries was low)

Within minutes of the listing going live, people had got my contact details from Ebay and were phoning my mobile offering me about what I thought it was worth. By the time the listing closed I got about 50% more than expected.

Others may have different experience of selling on Ebay but I know what I’ll be doing with the next one.

RustySpanner

Don’t even mention the trade in ’till you’ve spent a good couple of hours negotiating the best price for the Mondeo:

Start with the sticker price – get that down as far as poss and be really stubborn.
    Then go for a full tank, tax, bit’s’n’bobs, possible w/ty etc.

Then, when all that’s out of the way and you’ve got the best possible deal, mention the trade in 😀

creamegg
    Free Member

what rusty spanner said.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the condition of the car as if they don’t want it they will sell it on at auction. I’d also recommend cleaning it well and also research the market value of the car. Autotrader is a good place for that. Also research the market value of the car you’re buying too as it will most likely be over priced to allow for haggling.

I would also recommend showing your interest towards the end of the month because if they’ve had a slow month then you will be more likely to get a better deal as the salesman will need to meet his monthly target.

When discussing the deal, be confident, know the price you want to buy it for and be prepared to walk away if you can’t reach the deal you’re after. There will be more cars out there.

I was in the same position as you with the last car I bought and all the above advice worked for me.

takisawa2

Starts with a pure cash deal, where theoretically they will spot the big wad of notes you have & come down on the price on the promise of an easy deal.

Then announce you have a trade in. Show them the Focus as it is. They will give you book price, no more. They’re not going to be selling themselves, it will go to auction so the fact its immaculate wont matter. And the more they allow you the more you’ll have to make up…

Then agree a deal as if they are taking yous as a trade in. When the deal is agreed tell them you’ll actually make up the trade in value yourself. Then sell your now fully immaculated Focus yourself. It should easily cover the trade in & give you a few £ to offset the overall price.

Or be like me, & lose a bit of cash for an easy life. 🙂

Gary_C

Hora will be along soon asking how much for your Focus as he’s ‘thinking of buying one’. Then he’ll buy it, & a week later it’l be up for sale as the angle of the steering wheel will be all wrong…

😉

higgo
    Free Member

Takisawa…. your approach looks confusing to me (but maybe I’m just a bit ‘Sunday morning’).

How is it different to ‘sell old car for as much as poss, turn up with cash and buy new car for best price you can negotiate’?

Raindog
    Free Member

Mondeos often have clutch / flywheel, timing pulley or other issues, don’t assume it’ll be any better than the Focus. Do your research.

Northwind

Cheers folks!

Raindog, they’ve got their foibles don’t they… But I reckon just swapping for a younger model should help there, and will apply standard raving paranoia inspection techniques to any new motor 😉

totalshell

just clean it, dont soend money on it wash with soapy water, hoover inside, quick wipe down with a duster,airfresher job done. trade in you ll get 600 say you ll pay 2700 to change you ll get a deal at that

hora
    Free Member

OP does your Focus have steering wheel adjustor? I may be interested if it has this.

On a less serious note, jump from one niggly-fault car into another known niggly-fault car?

trail_rat
    Free Member

On a less serious note, jump from one niggly-fault car into another known niggly-fault car?

i assume you dont drive …. there isnt a car on this earth that doesnt have niggly faults !

konabunny
    Free Member

i assume you dont drive

lol!

hora
    Free Member

Well you don’t really if you own a Ford. It tends to be a cycle of dropping off and picking up from a garage..

Northwind

hora – Member

It tends to be a cycle of dropping off and picking up from a garage.

All the faults it’s had have been age and use-related and perfectly reasonable imo. If it wasn’t for the fact I’d like a bigger boot, I’d be trading to a fresher Focus tbh.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Trading in a fairly well-used car?’ is closed to new replies.