Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tradesmen/those who use ladders at work…could I bother you for 2 minutes?
  • will1991
    Free Member

Sorry about this, I’ve been out collecting info and have used specific forums but thought I’d try and broaden my field.

I’m currently a student at the University of Sheffield and am in the process of designing a new ladder stabilisation device.

My inspiration for this product came, unfortunately, as a result of a painter, who was doing some external work on the place I’m living, having his ladder slip, causing him to fall about a story.

I’d be very grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to answer a few questions which will help me with the development of this product, which will hopefully help prevent more accidents like the one I’ve described.

The questionnaire is open to both those who use ladders and those who don’t and can be accessed here: http://kwiksurveys.com?u=LadderStabilisation

If you have any comments/advice/criticisms there is a space at the end of the questionnaire for them, so if you could make them there that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will Farnsworth

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

You don’t differentiate between different types of ladders in your questionnaire.

Seems a bit pointless as you have no idea what type of ladders my answers refer to, and I have no idea what type of ladders your stabilisation device is for ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Three points of contact at all times and dont over reach! Those two are the reasons people fall! No matter what you design you can’t stop user error! Sorry for the negative response!

sharki
    Free Member

Will, its a thing I’ve pondered over and designed in theory many concepts in ladder stabilization and have discovered there is nothing that can do it better than common sense.

A few sand bags at the base and a tying eye used well is pretty much the best other than a second person footing the ladder.

A general rule of 3 contact points is, I’d think a better way to ensure less ladder accidents.

If anything though, an inbuilt level to ensure best angle of ladder use and adjustable feet.
    Wrong angle and unstable ladders are a bigger cause of falls I’d think than the base kicking out.

Some people will always choose to not have a second man and as one design could I think, not suit all working conditions, it would always ve limited.

I’ll do your questionarie later when I’m on a pc.

Like your thought, I just think Darwin needs to do its thing and educate…

Liftman

A ladder should be used for access, scaffold platforms for working from.

project
    Free Member

A ladder is a ladder, it depends a lot on the user and the job as well as location, not forgetting the height youre working at.

It would be interesting to know how insurance is going to go down for using one of your products,and the amount of fall testingits going to have.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Three points of contact at all times and dont over reach!

I’ve come off a ladder despite not over reaching and having three points of contact – it just slipped from under me. Luckily I didn’t fall as I managed to hang onto the mullion of the window frame 8)

Left dangling from the first floor above a paved patio, I eventually managed, after some huffing and puffing, to pull myself headfirst through the open window and go arse over tit landing in an undignified heap in the en-suite bath, with everything intact bar my pride 🙂

The moral of the story is don’t work off an unsecured ladder without someone footing it – even at your sister’s. Specially if it’s going to be standing on damp greasy greenish slippery concrete paving. In other words, don’t be a prat.

will1991
    Free Member

First of all, thanks to all of those who have taken the time to either fill out the questionnaire or give feedback here, or both! It’s all very useful.

The questionnaire has now been adjusted to ask what ladders people are using. This was something I actually identified as a shortfall in the questions when I was doing it face to face, it was an oversight in putting this online one together so thanks for pointing it out.

I’m aware that tying is the best method but have found/been advised that it isn’t always possible, hence this current train of thought.

And don’t worry about negative responses, as long as it’s honest I could ask for no more.

Thanks again,
    Will

Smudger666

We use these……..where appropriate

The top photo

jota180
    Free Member

A ladder secured at the top is usually the best bet IMO
    I’d take that over any other method TBH

jota180
    Free Member

Your survey won’t work on my tablet – something about Java cookies

will1991
    Free Member

Sorry about that jota180, I’m not computer literate enough to be able to get around that I’m afraid. Thanks for trying though.

Will

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

Liftman x 1

In my job anything over 2 metres requires a 2nd man. If I don’t adhere to this then, if anything happens it’s all my responsibility and ultimately face a disciplinary and / or the sack for not following procedures.

Every year I am subjected to a one day course on ladders and steps, and tower scaffolds.

Amazes me how people will risk their life to save a bit of time or money.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tradesmen/those who use ladders at work…could I bother you for 2 minutes?’ is closed to new replies.