Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Track days – Single seaters
  • samuri
    Free Member

I'm only bring this up here because it's been discussed a number of times in the past and I hope this will be useful to some people.

I've done a track day in a Ferrari 360 which was good fun and interesting and really, how many people get the chance to drive a Ferrari? It was very fast when it got into it's stride and it looked beautiful but it had a number of bad points including being made for a midget inside and having the interior of a badly made Fiat. Well when I was doing that, I couldn't miss the fact that a number of cars were passing me like I was stood still (and I thought I was giving it some). These cars were formula fords.

So next time I was offered a track day, I chose formula ford please.

Summary: **** excellent. Way better than driving a Ferrari.

I went to 3 sisters in Wigan which is only a few miles away. Very tight and short circuit, perfect for a light, nimble car, not so much for a supercar. Twenty minute briefing first followed by a drive in a Mini Cooper. Now that is a fun car to drive, very quick and good in the corners. I spent my 4 laps stuck up the arse of a Vanquish driver who refused to let me past. Nevertheless, it was great fun and the instructor marked me high so I ended up behind the pace car for the single seaters.

We set off nice and slow and each lap, the pace car got faster and faster. We did about 10 laps although by the last 3 or 4 laps, it was just me and the pace car (I guess I had an advantage over the other drivers because I'd been before). At 3 Sisters, single seaters rule and we were passing big 100 grand supercars like they were stood still. Amazing for a car with only 110bhp (especially considering we'd driven there in a car with 150bhp).

Amazing fun, like driving a big, very powerful go-kart. If I were recommending a track day, I'd say go for a formula ford day over anything else, especially if the track is twisty.

Me.

Pace driver in red, me in blue

Me again.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Sounds like a great day out.

Still makes me laugh how many people think you need 300+ BHP to call your car fast….they are also the same people who dont understand the concept of going round corners,starting and stopping quick is what make a car fun to drive.

juiced
    Free Member

looks awesome. power to weight and handling always wins,

epicyclo

That's a proper car. Now if only there was a way to put a bike rack on it…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Power to weight, handling AND gearing. Supercars are geared for road driving, single seaters for tracks. Love to drive one myself. Hoping to buy the father in law's race prepped Westfield later this year 🙂

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I did a track day in a 360 also, but the same day also did a caterham 7 – out of the 2 the caterham was scary as you wanted it to be – the better car for the fun day out.
    But for the best thrills – I have been in a rallycross car as a passenger tho' – absolutely terrifying but so more-ish at the same time –

rootes1

Yer i did a formula ford day at castle combe – great fun! They even manged to squeeze my 6' 6'' height into one, though knee's where a bit bruised and grazed from rubbing under the dash -didn't notice while driving though! Having too much fun

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Track days – Single seaters’ is closed to new replies.