• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nach.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tracing over an existing GPX route
  • butcher

Say you have an existing GPX route. You upload it to the software of your choice (I use BikeHike.co.uk). But it’s not quite the route you want and it needs altered, drastically. Maybe you only want to use a small portion of the route. The problem is, that the second you start creating a new route, you lose the old one, so unless you have a photographic memory, you’re screwed.

Is there any software that will allow you to overlay a GPX route for visual reference, and allow you to create a new route over the top of that? Or even show them side by side?

wwaswas

Chinagraph pencil 😉

scotroutes

Garmin Basecamp shows multiple tracks/routes simultaneously. Anquet also. Multimap does (I think). OS Getamap (online service ) too I think. Just load it in twice and change the name on one of the copies.

Edit: OS Getamap definitely does it.

butcher

Hmmm. It doesn’t seem to be plain sailing. I can now see why I never continued using BaseCamp in the first place. For the world leader in GPS technology, that is some seriously clunky software. And I can’t see any option to change the terrible base map?

Getamap looks decent, but is a paid for service. Maybe it’s worth it?

Anquet also looks like you need to pay for maps?

Multimap I’ve not figured out yet.

It might well be a chinagraph pencil at this rate.

scotroutes

You can load any of the Open Source mapping products into Basecamp (heres a link to thw maps on talkytoaster: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#PC-Mac-Only . It will also use the mapping on any device you have plugged in to your PC. I use it all the time and never really have any issues with it.

OS Getamap has a free option that would likely do all you need but for the price of the annual subscription I feel it’s really good value, especially as you get both 1:50K and 1:25K.

butcher

I don’t think you can save them using the free version of OS 😐

Will see if I can figure out Basecamp.

belugabob
    Free Member

If you use bikehike, load the gpx file, then use “drag edit” mode to move points around and change the route to how you want it.

If you only need part of the route, you can use “Cut to end” & “Reverse Route” to trim it before you start moving points.

butcher

My mistake, OS Getamap does seem to work. You just need to register – no subscription required. Is there a follow the road option?

The ‘drag edit’ option in Bikehike never seems to do what I want. Maybe I’ll try it in another browser. Any time I move anything it completely changes the entire route, and you can’t undo it.

scotroutes

Nope

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you want to make a new route, using only a bit of an existing one (is in the OP) you can edit the GPX file in Notepad, so that it’s just the bit you want to keep, then load it up and extend it.

Make a copy of the original GPX and experiment a bit; the GPX file structure isn’t hard to follow.

butcher

I’ve given up now. Can’t be bothered. Gonna drink beer instead and freestyle it.

Will have a look at the file structure, but it will be important that I can change start and end points, as the bit I’m chopping out is usually in the middle! I’m not sure what depth of information is hard-coded into the file.

belugabob
    Free Member

load route into bikehike.
    click on “cut to end”
    click on the end of the section you want to keep
    click on “reverse route”
    click on “cut to end”
    cick on other end of the bit you want to keep
    click on “reverse route”, to return to the correct direction.
    save your new route

andytherocketeer

will be a ‘mare editing by hand if you don’t know what to look for. it’s all just a load of numbers in an XML file, although the format is pretty obvious. not too bad for trimming a few data points off the start, where it contains nonsense.

Everytrail has a map editor that allows you to remove all points within an area. etc.

Have 2 windows open… one with existing route, and one with the one you frig manually?

nach
    Free Member

If you have access to a mac, Adze Lite is a fairly good, free GPX editor.

I’ve not used it a massive amount, but I needed to split a long ride in two for Strava when an errant point in the middle screwed it up with some ridiculous stats. Did the trick.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tracing over an existing GPX route’ is closed to new replies.