Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tourist attractions, overcharging
  • project
    Free Member

So today we went to a preservation railway, steam trains etc run by volunteers, so low staff costs, 14 quid for a ride on the train, 5 coaches , with just 8 poeple on the train, 1.50 for a plastic cup fille with tea.

Just perhaps as a novely and a good idea, could you not offer all seats at a fiver, the train would be filled, and also a customer in front of us got charged a child ticket because their child was over 3 and under 15.

The steam train was built in 1944 and the coaches in the 1950 ,s mark one open seconds.Ifg anyones interested.

Nick

What was their response when you raised this with them?

project
    Free Member

I thought i would air it ,for the great unwashed on here first.

iDave
    Free Member

OP, are you aware that the majority of threads you start are what could be classed as ‘negative’ and woeful in the literal sense?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought i would air it for the great unwashed on here first.

What do you expect us to say? 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

the train would be filled

If you are willing to underwrite any losses they incur if they don’t triple their tickets (won’t hold you to full trains) I am sure they would give it a go.
    Or could it be a limited market perhaps?

project
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    OP, are you aware that the majority of threads you start are what could be classed as ‘negative’ and woeful in the literal sense?

Posted 6 minutes ago # Report-Post

Never heard of discussion,and debate,theres a lot wrong in society,and only by discussiona nd debate can it be changed, or do you just lie back and think of retirement.

and i cant be a happy bunny all the time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

only by discussiona nd debate can it be changed

discussing on here is the only way to change that volunteer railway…Good luck.

OT that does sound steep but how long was the journey? Is that down South opp North even the santa ones are less than that but the journey is circa one hour

spooky_b329

£14…family ticket or per adult?

project
    Free Member

Tracker a lot of people just turned round today and walked away, where as they could have been may service users if the charge was less.

Nearly all our local railway stations have free parking, for rail users, our ferry service has free tea and coffee for comuters, a small cost that reaps lots more customers.

Alsoo perhaps on fathers day they could have a fathers day ticket for a fiver, now how many men dont like steam trains.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the number going would stay the same if they made it cheaper. You either fancy going or you don’t. I doubt most people check the prices before and think by ‘eck I’ll give that one a miss.

The steam train was built in 1944 and the coaches in the 1950 ,s mark one open seconds.Ifg anyones interested.

I bet ‘most people’ don’t give a crap I’m afraid 🙁 And that’s probably the reason it’s so expensive. For the record I love this kind of old industrial stuff, Fred Dibnah’s and recently Guy Martin’s TV shows etc.

project
    Free Member

per adult, journey about 35 mins each way.
    Maximum speed of a preserved train on a private railway is 25 mph.
    £27.50 per family, sorry the adult cost according to the website is £11.00 quid each

JulianA
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know which one this is…?

Well it wasn’t the SVR.
    Hour and ten minutes end to end and £16 for an all day ticket.
    Sounds a lot, but I remember talking to someone at Tyseley museum about 30 years ago and being told it cost £100 in coal just to get one of the big locomotives out of the shed before they even hitched it up to a train.

SVR use a lot of volunteers, so they’ve got “low staff costs”, but then they had over 40 land slips during the floods in 2007 and had to get contractors in to repair a lot of the embankments. A huge expense and a loss of income with no trains running while the work was going on.

You might think preserved railways are overcharging, but they are always short of money.
    The plans for a turntable at Bridgnorth have been on hold for years waiting for funds.

donsimon
    Free Member

could you not offer all seats at a fiver, the train would be filled,

And you know this how?

djglover
    Free Member

I hope they barred you for life and circulated your photo among other family attractions in the area.

phiiiiil

I always ponder this about the M6 Toll, as I (and many, many other people judging by its lack of use) think “£5.30? Not bloody likely” and just use the M6 instead. If they charged a lot less I’m sure it would be far busier than it is now, and they’d get more in total.

I wonder whether once you’ve started down the road of “expensive / exclusive” you get stuck heading towards a local maximum that you can’t easily back out of…

project
    Free Member

The Severn Valey Railway is a quite good one, has a decent range of trains and an all day ticket. Sadly someone nicked a load of newly delivered copper, as reported in the local paper, along with a lot of land slips.Which all needs to be paid for.

The thing is buses and trains run to a timetable they have to run, wether full or empty, fill the empty seats with paying passengers and you make a profit hopefully, National Express charge a pound for a ticket on their coaches as do mega bus, part of stagecoach, they fill the coach and that helps make a profit to share with the shareholders and to lease new coaches.

The M6 toll cost quite a bit to build, and the shareholders and banks want their money back asap, if you want to use a private road you pay as opposed to a publicly funded one.

Good to see the usual STW response of jumping down the throat of someone who just wants to make a point, or discuss something on their mind.

I agree, bring prices down, get more bums on seats – even if they only return the same amount of revenue initially, a busy attraction seems more appealing to the passing public, and should ultimately increase revenue.

M6 Toll – I use it if I’m in a hurry, don’t if I’m not. I don’t tend to even notice the price.

project
    Free Member

I just signed up for 3 issues of a cycling mag 3 issues for a quid, instead of 4.20 each, they sell more mags, so can charge the advertisers more as they have more readers.So they get the money back they seem to have lost, also the mags have been printed, so need to go .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tourist attractions, overcharging’ is closed to new replies.