Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tour of Liathach
  • Neil-S
    Free Member

I’m looking for new a Torridon route – have done the Ben Damph loop and the Lollipop.

I was thinking of cycling out toward Inveralligin on the road, turning right and climbing up Coire MhicNobaill, down Coire Dubh Mor and then heading back into town on the A896. Is that the acknowleged route?

I’ve seen it described on here as a “march of doom”, which doesn’t instill confidence. Aerial pics on Bing Maps suggest that the trail exists and it looks rocky rather than boggy. So what gives?

Cheers,

Neil.

TLDR; What is it, and what’s wrong with it?

bigjim

I did that loop last year, it isn’t terrible but there is a lot of hike a bike over boulders as you approach the highest point, the descent down to the road is quite a good blast and sure gets the old brakes hot anyway. I don’t think I would do it again but if the weather is nice there are worse ways to pass a few hours and the scenery is great. We ended the ride at the pub, which is nice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/159750587

enmac
    Free Member

Your route is described here. Sounds like your enjoyment is dependent on how happy you are in jumping over water bars.

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue_Map_TrailViewer.aspx?VenueNumber=27&TrailNumber=162&Unique=635652452699513338

chakaping
    Free Member

I was eyeing it up last year but my friend was a bit ill so we just went up from the eastern end and back same way.

It is a hell of a descent back to the road.

bigjim

yeah some of the waterbars are pretty big and come at you pretty fast going down there, definitely good bunny hop practice/closing your eyes and saying “**** it”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Did it a couple of years ago the day after doing the ‘Big’ Loop.
    There’s some right hike a bike over rocks, It wrecked my shoes & I won’t be doing it again.
    HTH.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I think hike a bike is to be expected in those parts.

Quite a few won’t-be-doing-it-agains in there. Is that the hike a bike aspect, or the descent in at the end not being worth the effort?

twang
    Free Member

Its a frustrating slog up to the high point as said. A better bet if you like a bit of tech is the final descent as an out and back all the way around to corrie mich fairchair (sp)

Neil-S
    Free Member

I’ve walked up to the triple buttress for a look at the remains of the Lancaster. That might be a go-er, although from memory, some of that path might not be all that rideable, there was a lot of gaps between the rocks.

twang
    Free Member

Some of it isn’t ridable (by me anyway) but its fun to try. Depends what floats your boat spose.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Very true 🙂

bigjim

the hike a bike is sustained and timewise is a significant part of the ride. I’d say you should do it and then make your own mind up, stunning place to be anyway and good fun coming down.

chakaping
    Free Member

The descent is most definitely worth it, unless you struggle on steep-ish rocky terrain?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d say definitely worth doing at least once. If its a good day then just stop and take in the surroundings every so often and think yourself lucky you’re there. It is a cracking descent. I treated the climb as a series of trials challenges and tried to ride as much as I could even if it was only 10m. My mate didn’t stop once his bike was on his back and he hated it.

legend
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    The descent is most definitely worth it, unless you struggle on steep-ish rocky terrain?
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s the water bars with another a bike length after that **** it for me. Hike a bike is too big a % of the ride too. Scenery is always going to be amazing up there, but if you’re banking on the descent then you’d be better off just doing an out n back from the road

Neil-S
    Free Member

Not at all worried about the descent 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

The view off the back is pretty spectacular BTW…

Kunstler

I biked up to where the path splits and then walked to Coire Mhic Fearchair and up to bag the Ben Eighe summits – rode the descent and thought it great.
    Another option for a route is up from Annat and around the west side of Meall Chean Dearg. It’s lovely, flowy singletrack and there are excellent views of Ben Damph and up close An Ruadh Stac is one the most dramatic peaks in the area. It’s an out and back (again I did this en route to bagging the munro). I’ve fancied tagging this on to ‘the lollipop’ route but there’s a 1000 foot carry and last time I couldn’t face it.

Neil-S
    Free Member

I was looking at that as a possibility for the return leg of the lollipop. Can make that call at the bothy on the way back I guess 🙂

Excellent info, cheers everyone 🙂

twang
    Free Member

I attempted kunstlers route as a mini lollipop(anticlockwise) but couldn’t find the start of the path that drops down towards the bothy, its not a continuation of the main path, you have to head off piste a bit and was buried in the low cloud somewhere so I gave up and returned the way I came.
    The drop down to the bothy looks great from the bottom though – next time.

Kunstler

twang – you have to turn left at the top of that path as you reach the bealach. Have a look on google satellite image and you’ll see the path quite visible. Not much use when you’re stuck in the clag I know – but probably a point to bear in mind if you use it as a climb and then need to locate the descent down the other side. I’ve had a lot less head scratching moments since I started using gps.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Liathach’ is closed to new replies.