Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tour of Coniston – Walna Scar
  • richardkennerley

Hopefully my next ride out will be a loop of Coniston, starting at Grizedale and heading Clockwise.

I’ve done Walna Scar a few times, but have either taken the BW down to Torver (past the quarry + waterfall) or followed Walna Scar road all the way to Coniston.

Looking on the OS map there’s a BW that runs down to Spoon Hall/Bowmanstead. Is this a decent option? Is it easy to spot on the way down!?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s tricky to spot and the section over little arrow moor is very wet, best way is to bomb down the scar road to the carpark and follow the footpath along the wall, cheeky but is usually fairly quiet. The bwy there down is pretty good actually with a few little technical challenges chucked in as it crosses the stream – worth a look.

martinhutch

Or go left at the car parking, along and up a bit, then pick up a footpath down towards Miner’s Bridge. Bit steppy-downy in places, but fun, pretty quiet, and sets you up to pick up the track northwards towards Tilberthwaite without any tarmac.

richardkennerley

nice one, cheers lads!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d do Martinhutch’s recommendation, or just go up the Old Man from the saddle of Walna Scar (attacking it from the east) then down the footpath through the old mines. It’s a good ‘un.

whitestone
    Free Member

Note that munrobiker’s descent will be packed with tourists during the day – either go really early or wait until late evening (the shot above was taken during the evening)

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

richardkennerley

Great picture. I’ll be there on a weekday, next Tuesday hopefully.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve only ever done the Spoon Hall descent from the carpark (as thestabiliser described). It’s quite a good setion.

thekettle
    Free Member

As in tomorrow? The Old Man summit path down to low water was fully iced yesterday, it gets almost no sun for several months over winter, combined with the compacted snow from all the foot traffic refreezind every night.. unless there’s a hefty thaw (and you’re there next week) I’d stick to Walna for the higher section, then deviate to miners bridge (best riding) or spoon hall (less cheeky) from the Car Park.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Coniston – Walna Scar’ is closed to new replies.