Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tough problem with Windows 8
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I know it’s a preview, and that there’s not a lot I can do, but I wonder if any of the hardcore PC folk (basically Cougar) have any ideas.

I’ve got Win8 on the Vaio P series. It’s great, but when restarting from hibernate or off (which is effectively hibernate anyway) it comes up, works perfectly for just long enough to start logging in and then restarts.

Nothing I can see in the event log.

glenh
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s a bug with repopulating the memory contents from disk.
    Probably not much you can do.

scaredypants

I am not a hardcore PC person

… but that didn’t happen when I tried it

(is the hib file on a ded slow disc ??)

Out of interest, why do you think it’s great ? (I dumped it pretty quick as it seemed to offer very little over W7 other than novelty)

spacemonkey

Metro is the most horrible looking front-end ever. Can’t even look at it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like it because it’s fast on this tiny laptop, and I quite like the metro front end – it’s worth getting to grips with.

And the new task manager is a geek’s wet dream. That alone is worth it for me 🙂

Cougar

I wouldn’t be expending too much energy diagnosing hibernation faults on OSes that have actually been finished, personally. It’s always been problematic. On a beta product, who knows.

Just to be clear though, you say it also does it from cold? So, what, you switch it on, it boots, starts the login sequence, spontaneously reboots and then works fine on that second boot? Or is it just when suspend to disk is involved?

Basic checks like a chkdsk would be my first port of call. Check for driver updates, that sort of thing. Maybe disable / re-enable hibernate, I’d expect that to recreate the hibernation file (but I don’t know for sure).

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. re-create the hibernate file, good idea.

I might bin it though, I’m struggling to get the built in 3G to work without the SHIIIITE stupid software they give you for it.

FFS why do people do this? Win7 includes software for handling mobile broadband seamlessly and effectively, and it works brilliantly. Option and their stupid Globetrotter Connect shite seem to want to change all that.

Sony force you to use their SmartNetwork thing which adds basically nothing, and then you have to open this shite Globetritter thing and click ‘connect’ – great job lads that adds loads of value to something that should work on its own anyway. AND THEN the stupidiest thing is that if I am using the 3G and I close the lid, then Mrs Grips opens it she has to go into task manager to kill the connection manager because it can’t handle multiple users wanting to use it. For christ’s sake!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

FFS why do people do this? Win7 includes software for handling mobile broadband seamlessly and effectively, and it works brilliantly.

Does it??? not on mine it bloody didn’t, not automatically anyway, it appeared to identify the connection, but said no internet access, and no matter what I did I couldn’t change it’s mind. After much huffing and tutting I installed pdanet on phone and laptop.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got a new Huawei dongle, plugged it into my work machine – 30s of driver installation and I was online. Now when I plug it in I get instant access. If I lose signal it doesn’t drop and need redialling or anything, it just starts working again when regain signal.

iolo
    Free Member

I hate it and need it off.
    How can I remove this bloody software and get me back to w7?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hate what? W8? You installed it, it’s up to you to have made provisions to roll it back.

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks for that extremely helpful answer.
    Can anyone who is not an idiot please answer me?

scaredypants

To be fair, mols has a bit of a point, despite his manner

Can I uninstall Windows 8 Release Preview?

No. To go back to your previous version of Windows, you’ll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC; typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

For instructions on reinstalling Windows 7, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

iolo
    Free Member

OK.
    Thanks

Cougar

Flatten it and start again.

FFS why do people do this?

+1. I don’t understand it, the third party wireless management utils are nothing other than bloody annoying.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry, iolo, didn’t mean to be so obnoxious.

Should really have created a system image before you started. I have just gone back to my W7 one – whilst I like W8 there were a few driver issues in addition to the restart thing.

The pointer nipple doesn’t quite work properly, the display drivers aren’t right and are much slower so it feels sluggish, the Sony util for switching the 3g card and gps on and off doesn’t really work, the HD protection thing doesn’t work, and something’s not right in power management cos I only get 2 hours from the battery instead of 2.5-3

Went from 45Gb free of 60Gb under W8 to 5Gb free.. need a serious clean out!

Janesy
    Free Member

Do you have a SSD drive? It may not be an issue with windows 8.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tough problem with Windows 8’ is closed to new replies.