Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Torridon Got a week where what how!!!!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Staying at the YHA but info very thin on the ground ref food they sell,any shops nearby any decent pubs/cafes
    Routes info needed will have a bivi for a night or two if the weather is kind ,prefer riding than hike a bike but will partake if needed.
    Any must do rides on the way there? which maps do i need for the rides

Many thanks

Rich

Ambrose

To quote Messrs python- ‘You Lucky Ba****d!!!’

The Loch Damph route is great as a starter, on the southern side of the Loch. If it is midgey I’d start at Balgy Bridge. If not I’d suggest somewhere near the Torridon Hotel so you finish downhill. The final (only!)descent is truely wonderful. The slabs are very grippy. In the trees it can get slippy though.

I’ve walked the routes north of the loch but never ridden them. I’m sure that another jealous soul will be along soon to give good advice.

There is no Tesco in Torridon- and long may it stay that way. Assuming you are driving stock up when and where you can.

duncancallum

Me too. 1st week of May. I’m staying in gairloch. Can’t wait

towzer

Applecross House – NE on white road to tracks, hangs lefts at both junctions to Kenmore – I loved that – could try coming back on track to S (Inverbain) which I have not done (Pub[Applecross] there is nice)

John_Key
    Free Member

Kenmore to Applecross is the seminal ride there. There and back

scotroutes

Torridon Inn for beer and food. Cafes and shops Kinlochewe and Sheildaig

tomd
    Free Member

Staying at the YHA but info very thin on the ground ref food they sell,any shops nearby any decent pubs/cafes

The SYHA is great but the food is only good if you’re stuck IMO. Essentially ready meals heated for you.

Other nearby eating options:

http://www.visittorridon.co.uk/eating.php

From personal experience the Torridon Inn, Shieldaig Inn & Applecross Inn are all good. The Walled Garden Cafe in Applecross is one of my favourite cafes in Scotland.

There are small shops in Torridon, Kinlochewe, and Shieldaig but worth taking what you can as the range can be a bit limited. Lochcarron has some more shops.

Routes info needed will have a bivi for a night or two if the weather is kind ,prefer riding than hike a bike but will partake if needed.

If you like riding I would strongly recommend the mini coast to coast from Kenmore to Applecross and back (you can start from Torridon).

There are more routes here:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=27

The “Torridon Circuit” and “Ben Damph Loop” would suit if you want less hike a bike.

Any must do rides on the way there? which maps do i need for the rides

Where are you starting from?

Torridon is a PITA for OS maps / Harveys etc, it’s right in the middle of everything. It’s almost worth ordering a custom sheet centred on Torridon Village.

postierich
    Free Member

Tomd who does the custom maps?

rone

Do the road climb/passBealach na Bà . Then sneak off road and ride to the obvious climb at the top. Back to the road. Drop down fast into Applecross – get some food from the inn.

Then ride off-road back towards Torridon. There is a fairly definite path (might be that Kenmore mentioned earlier). Finish and start at Shieldaig.

I preferred this day to the classic Torridon ‘loop’ that is a bit of a mixed adenture. Great descent and views but some hiking which doesn’t get stressed enough! If you’re there for a week though I would do it.

tomd
    Free Member

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/custom-made-maps.html#

If you play around with the centre and try and get in Applecross in the west, Coulags in the south (GR9645), Loch Coulin / Coulin Pass in the east (GR0155) and the trail around the back of Liathatch to the north you’ll most of the decent riding options on one map.

tomd
    Free Member

Do the road climb/passBealach na Bà . Then sneak off road and ride to the obvious climb at the top. Back to the road. Drop down fast into Applecross – get some food from the inn.

Then ride off-road back towards Torridon. There is a fairly definite path (might be that Kenmore mentioned earlier). Finish and start at Shieldaig.

Yes the path it’s the same path. I’ve done it a few times, twice as out and back and once as you mention using the Bealach na Ba. On a clear day that’s a great option and you get to tick off the UK’s biggest road climb. Saying that, the track rides brilliantly in both directions so you miss some great mtb’ing doing it this way. Whatever you do don’t be tempted by the track that leads round Croic bheinn (GR756512). It looks OK up to the cairn but the downhill is absolutely grim.

postierich
    Free Member

That OS site is pants just about to hit buy on the 428 and 433 maps from dash4it only £18 and laminated will I be sorted with them two?

tomd
    Free Member

You need 428, 429 and 433 ideally. If you want to do without one skip 433. Those three maps join at Torridon village basically, total pain. It makes route planning a bit annoying.

lowey

Toms link to the MTBtrails site is superb. I used a few of those when I was up there.

The classic Lollipop route is stunning. Big day out and probably some of the best riding in this country.

Tour of Liethach.
    Tour of Beinn Dampf also.

You cant go wrong up there if you have the weather. When you going ? If your going in Midge season, be prepared for midge ARMAGEDDON. they will literally drain you of blood so fast you will be dust in minutes.

If you like I can email you the GPX of the Lollipop with the added climb over Bealach a’ Choire Gharibh.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The classic lollipop route has to be the best one day loop in the country IMO.
    The Beinn Damph circuit is a nice half day, and the climb is probably 70% rideable on a dry day. Definitely start at Annat so you finish with the descent
    Up and back to Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair is great if you like rock, and the corrie itself is simply stunning. Top half round Sail Mhor is mostly a push/carry
    The loop round Liathach is a total march of doom and not worth it IMO.
    Another nice half day is doing the Annat descent by taking the path up by the Ling hut to Coire Grannda and turning right
    Out and back from Lower Diabeg as far as you want to go towards Red Point

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Torridon Got a week where what how!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.